Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace-Essien
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-essien.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Review of Kalayla

Post by Grace-Essien »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla is an intriguing story about a high spirited, smart-mouthed, stubborn and sweet girl named Kalayla, her mother, Maureen and their elderly neighbour, Lena Manero who was also their landlady. After her husband’s death, Maureen is faced with the harsh reality of catering for herself and her feisty daughter, while at the same time trying to protect her from the cruel truth of her family’s lack of understanding and racism. All hell breaks loose when Kalayla plays detective and finds out the truth for herself. With Lena, trying to salvage the situation and heal the broken mother and daughter relationship, the trio complement each other.

The theme of the book tackles human relationships and empathy. One outstanding thing I learnt from Character Lena is that I should always put myself out there and be available to help others with the wealth of the knowledge from my past experiences. It should be unheard of, that I fold my hands and watch others make the same mistakes that I made in times past. The book also brought up real day issues like racism, unforgiveness, rape, etc. and it points out the importance of family. I appreciate that the book is not only entertaining, but also very educative.

Kalayla is an interesting and captivating book that got me hooked from the beginning to the end. The author, Jeannie Nicholas did a good job of bringing the characters of this thrilling plot to life. I appreciate that the book is written in alternate points of views of the main characters because it adds to the exuberance of the book and helps the readers to get a full handle of the story. My favourite character is of course, Kalayla. She is a bundle of many interesting, endearing and at the same time, entertaining qualities.

The scenarios are well explained in a simple, real but dramatic way that does not only help the readers to relate to the story but also keeps them thirsty for more. I give the book many accolades. I did not particularly see anything to dislike about the book. The book is very interesting, beautifully crafted and well edited and so, I give the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to teenagers and adults who are in for a good story. I am of the opinion that mothers and women in general, would particularly find this book appealing because they can easily relate to the story and learn a lot from the characters.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”