Review by oluchiokere84 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Review by oluchiokere84 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by oluchiokere84 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters, a book written by Michelle Cummings tells a story of five women- Rose, Veronica, Amanda, Sophie and Melody who discovered and shared a passion for fly- fishing. Fly- fishing may be described as an art of catching fishes using artificial flies as bait. This was mostly practiced for fun by the women, because the fishes caught by them were usually returned to the river they came from almost immediately. Their fishing dates provided a release from their daily routine, as well as opportunities for them to share the good and bad moments of their lives with each other like real sisters.

The author’s style of writing the book as if each major character was thinking aloud or actually telling their story one at a time is something that appealed very much to me. It made me relate with each character easily. I learnt a very important lesson on poor anger management, which was the cause of Amanda’s death. The book contains the right amount of suspense and the book club discussion questions which were written at the end of the book gave me a new idea on how to improve my book club sessions with children.

I didn’t dislike anything about the book, but I think that curse words were used too many times by some of the characters. I also feel that the story came to an abrupt end. I expected more, probably because I was really really enjoying the book. I would also have loved to know what the artificial flies were basically made of. I was wondering if they were made of plastic or some other hard material.

I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because the author expressed her thoughts and imaginations in a manner that was as real as everyday life. This made me overlook the very few errors that I found in some sentences. I took them as the little errors that we sometimes make in our daily expressions, no matter how prim and proper we try to be. I think it is a good book, and I would love to read more books written by Michelle.

The value of the book would be lost on children. This is because the plot would only be fully appreciated by adults and mature minds. People who know very little or nothing about fishing may not like the book, but I am sure that they would learn a thing or two about fishing, just like I did if they read it. However, I would recommend it to people who love to read about and appreciate nature often.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

This book really does sound interesting. I've never heard of fly-fishing before, I guess you learn something everyday. Thanks for the wonderful review! :D
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I also heard about fly-fishing for the first time. This book must be a great read for me.
Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”