Official Review: Shooting Europe by Simon Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The time we have by aastha madhur

Official Review: Shooting Europe by Simon Potter

Post by Bluebird03 » 15 May 2019, 13:56

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shooting Europe" by Simon Potter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shooting Europe is comprised of three main sections. In the first part, Mike writes to Holly and includes his version of what occurred during their time together. The second portion of the book includes Holly’s response to him. The final section, again penned by Mike, allows him to respond to Holly’s writing and her thoughts. As you will learn, Mike and Holly’s relationship is taking place as they are working on a series of films to be shot on locations throughout Europe. Many of the chapters are devoted to summarizing some of these films.

Unfortunately, prior to meeting Holly, Mike was in a volatile relationship with Mopsa. Mopsa is consumed by her world of art exhibitions. She is also unafraid to seek revenge whenever she feels unappreciated. How will Mike and Holly’s relationship unfold? What will become of Mopsa? What will be the outcome of Mike and Holly’s letters (epistles) to one another?

This novel is about love and revenge; however, it is much darker and more disturbing. In fact, parts of the book are often grotesque. This satirical theme of revenge made the movie Misery seem like a children’s story. Anytime Mopsa appeared in the story, the language immediately became vulgar. Intimately familiar with every curse word available, Mopsa delighted in consistently spouting an assortment of them. Also, her idea of art was not what I had anticipated. While I was imagining sculptures and paintings, Mopsa was sitting in a coffin with chicken giblets up to her neck. At other times, she observed other members of her art world seeking to express themselves by cutting off body parts. And, I will not even comment on the more absurd “Excremental Kinetics”. (I will let you read about this art medium on your own.)

The author did a thorough job of developing his characters. Holly was someone I did like and could identify with. She was portrayed realistically and I enjoyed reading her perspective on love and relationships. Mike was also a believable character, but certainly lacked backbone in his dealings with Mopsa. However, I did appreciate the sense of protection that he demonstrated toward Holly.

Most of the movies that they planned to film exhibited a dark tone. If you love a good revenge story, you will certainly enjoy the film Avril Trethowan's Secret. This film gives new meaning to the phrase “revenge is a dish best served cold”. However, be advised that this particular story is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I did like that the book appeared to be very well edited. However, given the consistent grotesque factor, the strong language and the unnecessarily lengthy dialogue, I award Shooting Europe by Simon Potter 2 out of 4 stars. I can only recommend this book (in its current form) to readers exceptionally fond of satire and not offended by consistent coarse language, grotesque and graphic descriptions and occasional racial slurs. Readers sensitive to these issues will want to avoid this story. Hopefully the author can justify removing much of the explicit language (as it does not take that much to get the message across regarding Mopsa’s personality). Additionally, the book could easily be shortened by editing much of the dialogue that seemed unnecessary to the storyline. These changes would definitely up the appeal factor.

Shooting Europe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluebird03's review? Post a comment saying so!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 18 May 2019, 07:03

This sounds too disturbing for me, and I did not enjoy the movie Misery. I think I will skip this, but thank you for the honest review!

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Rachel Lea » 18 May 2019, 14:49

I'm all for realism and grit in literature, but the character of Mopsa crosses a line for me so I don't think I'll be checking this book out. Thank you for your honest review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Post by kdstrack » 18 May 2019, 15:28

If Mopsa can surpass Cathy Bates with her wicked deeds, then I think I will pass. Your descriptions of the book are very insightful and tastefully worded! Good job on your review.

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 18 May 2019, 21:10

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: ↑
18 May 2019, 07:03
This sounds too disturbing for me, and I did not enjoy the movie Misery. I think I will skip this, but thank you for the honest review!
It was definitely disturbing. From the description, I was expecting sort of a "Bridget Jones' Diary" story. What a surprise I was in for! Thank you, Stephanie, for reading my review and for commenting.

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 18 May 2019, 21:17

Rachel Lea wrote: ↑
18 May 2019, 14:49
I'm all for realism and grit in literature, but the character of Mopsa crosses a line for me so I don't think I'll be checking this book out. Thank you for your honest review!
That is probably a good call, Rachel, as Mopsa was a bit much for me also. Thank you so much for reading the review and for your thoughtful comments!

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 18 May 2019, 21:28

kdstrack wrote: ↑
18 May 2019, 15:28
If Mopsa can surpass Cathy Bates with her wicked deeds, then I think I will pass. Your descriptions of the book are very insightful and tastefully worded! Good job on your review.
Mopsa is definitely not someone that you want to cross. Thank you so much, kdstrack, for reading my review and for your thoughtful comments!

imSunshine
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by imSunshine » 18 May 2019, 22:39

satire could be sexy..so i am giving it a try

Agnes098
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes098.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Agnes098 » 19 May 2019, 02:33

The strong use of vulgar language is too disturbing for me. Thanks your great anf well explained review.

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: EN by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Cotwani » 19 May 2019, 08:20

The stories within story (films) sound unique. however, I will have to pass for it seems too grotesque. Thanks for the great review all the same!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Latest Review: EN by Michelle Reynoso

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 165
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Lottie Loser by Dana L. Brown
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 19 May 2019, 14:11

What an odd book. It sounds like it could be an interesting story, and I like the idea of having the book be written in letters, but it sounds like the author really got carried away with some of the details. Very thorough review!

CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 » 19 May 2019, 16:41

Thanks for the descriptive and balanced review. I do not think I'd like the revenge aspects or the odd art described in the book. Chicken parts just don't do it for me (-:

Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto » 20 May 2019, 04:57

I find the language a turn-off to reading the book. Thanks for your thorough review all the same.

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Enemy No. 1 by James L. Repace

Post by gen_g » 20 May 2019, 11:08

This is definitely not a light read; still, it seems rather intriguing. Furthermore, it's a plus that the book is well edited. Thanks for the review!

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus » 20 May 2019, 12:12

The story of Mike and Holly’s relationship while working on films shot on locations throughout Europe,
but Mike was in a volatile relationship with Mopsa sounds interesting .
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”