Review by bdu15062 -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bdu15062
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdu15062.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Review by bdu15062 -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by bdu15062 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Days of the Giants written by R. J Petrella, is a novel based around a person called Slate Barnes who works at Boston City Hospital. Petrella quickly sets the scene of what hospital life is like and we are thrown in as if we are there experiencing the endless amount of patients ourselves. Barnes struggles with alcoholism and stress which could badly affect his health and throughout the book, we are often refreshed with his concerns which made him feel like a real person. The main plot of the story is that Boston City and another hospital, Academy, are being forced to merge with each other due to Boston City not getting permission to improve their building. This outrages people and the book goes through the work the protestors did whilst still doing their own tiring jobs just so they could have their hospital back.

There were many things I liked about the book and I applaud Petrella for such an interesting read. I haven't read too many books from a doctors perspective and found it fascinating the thought process that goes through one's head when they are tending to a patient. The different emotions and themes that each character went through such as relationships and mental and physical wellbeing helped to make the reader have a personal connection with the characters. I think anyone who has read the book will tell you that one of the greatest achievements of this book was to shed a light on anyone who works in the health industry and how they are heroes for the time and effort they put in to their jobs. The title Days of the Giants was also in constant reference in the book which I appreciated.

There were few things I did not like about the book. Some parts of the book were a little boring and could have been taken out altogether as I felt they could have been inferred. For example there were many interview scenes between those of a higher power deciding about the merging and sometimes they went into too much detail. This made it difficult to focus on these parts of the story. I was also confused about why some parts of the story were being told by Slates father who had passed away. I guessed that this was to show more perspective on Slate and try to make it more interesting coming from another person but it made me feel unsure if I had the right idea.

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars because it is a book definitely worth reading but may not appeal to everyone. Petrella is superb at including the reader into the story which is why I couldn't give a lower score. I couldn't give any higher because I felt that some parts lacked the power other parts of the story had which could be dishearten readers.

There were only two errors in the novel and they weren't major. In Chapter 47 at 63%, "I asked Kirkland if he wouldn't start doing some groundwork..." it should be would as in the next few sentences they discuss them doing the groundwork and later in the book Slate thanks Kirkland for doing the groundwork. In Chapter 48 at 66%, "... sounded like a strange rule to have to have" there should only be one to have.

Overall Days of the Giants is a great read to someone who wants something different and that they can fully involve themselves with the characters. I would recommend this book for an audience of 15 and over as there are substance abuse, violence, and sexual references. This is a book for you if you like a great build up of tensions and an ending which is shocking but also leaves one feeling a sense of triumph.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bdu15062's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”