Review by Britty01 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Britty01 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Britty01 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo’s Raven by Linnea Tanner is an historical fiction/fantasy novel.

The story opens with Catrin, a warrior princess of the Cantiaci tribe. Catrin has been disturbed by a strange dream and is seeking an omen from her Raven guide. Standing on top of a cliff edge, she studies the Raven's flight over the water. As she gazes into the distance, she sees dark shadows looming on the horizon. By melding her thoughts with her raven guide, she sees ships moving onto the shore, and soldiers marching inland. By the time she reaches the fort settlement to warn King Amren, the Roman envoy is standing before the royal dais.

During the ensuing discussions, Amren realizes that Cunobelin, King of Catuvellauni, has betrayed him and entered into a secret trade agreement with the Romans. King Amren persuades the Roman senator to arrange a secret meeting between himself and Cunobelin and for the senator to act as arbitrator. They agree to swap hostages to ensure each other’s safety. Amren tells Catrin to befriend Marcus, the senator’s son. He wants to find out the truth about why the Roman’s Emperor sent his envoy. Will Catrin succeed in her task while keeping Marcellus safe from harm?

Linnea Tanner has created a powerful story about the conflicts between ancient Celtic people and Romans. A story that is full of intrigue, betrayal, forbidden love, ancient rituals, animal sacrifices, and an evil curse. It is clear to see the author performed a large amount of research into the history of ancient Roman culture and the invasion into Gaul and southern Britain. The map is excellent. I looked up Camulodunum (now modern-day Colchester) and it is in the correct location. I like a map with a book such as this one as it enables the reader to formulate a better idea of the area of the world where the story revolves around.

There were several aspects of this novel that were appealing to me. In the book, the reader gets a peek into the customs and traditions of these Iron Age peoples. We also see how that contrasts with the political and military system of the ancient Romans. The Celts were believed to treat the women as equal to men. In contrast, the Roman’s gave higher authority to the male, and succession would pass to a male heir. In the story, we see that both Catrin and Marcellus are in fact pawns in the struggle for power between opposing parents. King Amren seems quite ready to use a daughter as a bargaining chip if it suits his quest for power and wealth.

Loyalty to the tribe clan was everything. We see this several times in exchanges between Mor and Catrin. Mor compels Catrin to keep the relationship between herself and Belinus a secret. Rhiannon fulfilled her duty marrying King Amren, a man twice her age, to gain a political alliance between the Regni and Cantiaci tribes.

The author pulls the various plot twists together in a superb fashion. The characters were complex and intriguing. The mystical elements that are included in the story help create suspicion and doubt in the minds of each of the main characters about one another. At one point in the story, Marcellus begins to question Catrin’s feelings and loyalty. This can certainly keep the reader hungry for more.

I did not enjoy the more violent parts of the story as represented in the sacrificial ceremonies. There was a missing word in chapter four. I believe the book has been professionally edited. My rating is 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoys historical fiction with a touch of the supernatural. However, I would not recommend it to those who are sensitive about graphic violence. Due to the mention of rape and some sexual content I believe it is appropriate for a mature audience.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Britty01's review? Post a comment saying so!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

This is a great review. I just don't think the book is for me. I'm not sure the historical fiction parts (which I love) outweigh the romance parts (which I do not like). Feels like Harlequin Romance meets Hercules and not sure I can read that. Awesome job on the review, very informative!
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

jcoad wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 13:03 This is a great review. I just don't think the book is for me. I'm not sure the historical fiction parts (which I love) outweigh the romance parts (which I do not like). Feels like Harlequin Romance meets Hercules and not sure I can read that. Awesome job on the review, very informative!
Thank you for reading and leaving a comment. I can understand the conflict.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the thorough review. I'm amazed that the Celts gave women equal rights to men. Very commendable.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review. You seem to have enjoyed the novel more than I did. I think you and I agree on the elements of the story that had potential. I just don’t think the author ended up handling them well.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Irene C wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 09:50 Thanks for this review. You seem to have enjoyed the novel more than I did. I think you and I agree on the elements of the story that had potential. I just don’t think the author ended up handling them well.
I think so too. Feel free to email if you would like to discuss the elements you think might have been handled better. I read your review and commented. It is unfortunate to try out a new genre and it does not turn out to be quite as interesting a story as you might have expected. I like historical fiction, preferably if it has interesting geography, architecture, scenery, good characters and plot. It takes away from my enjoyment if there is a lot of graphic violence. A book I read, which had probably been one of the first Historical fiction books I had looked at in quite some time and quite different from the ones I had read in the past, was "Strong Heart". It did contain a story within a story, but it is so well laid out and they both intertwine so well. Near the end, all the pieces fall into place. I am looking forward with anticipation for the next book. The scenery was described so well, I wanted to be there.
Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 »

Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 23:34 Thanks for the thorough review. I'm amazed that the Celts gave women equal rights to men. Very commendable.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

This is quite an interesting review, well-done. Historical fiction is usually one of my things, so also is fantasy. I should be reading the novel sometime soon.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Britty01 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 18:55 [Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]

Linnea Tanner has created a powerful story about the conflicts between ancient Celtic people and Romans. A story that is full of intrigue, betrayal, forbidden love, ancient rituals, animal sacrifices, and an evil curse. It is clear to see the author performed a large amount of research into the history of ancient Roman culture and the invasion into Gaul and southern Britain. The map is excellent. I looked up Camulodunum (now modern-day Colchester) and it is in the correct location. I like a map with a book such as this one as it enables the reader to formulate a better idea of the area of the world where the story revolves around.
I agree with you that the author researched well on the ancient cultures in writing this book. The facts mixed in with a fictional story made it believable. I liked learning about the customs as well.
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-swan.html

Post by Rick Swan »

I love this part of history - where Rome and the Celts collide. I'm reading Caesar's Commentaries, recounting his campaign in Gaul, and I think I'd like this book. Thanks for the thorough review.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Apollo’s Raven by Linnea Tanner is a book about the love story of Catrina and Marcellus. They are two members of a pathway but belong to two different Estates which are opposite to each other. You have explained well in your review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It is not a story I normally pick up, but it sounds really well written. Great review.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Linnea Tanner has created a powerful story about the conflicts between ancient Celtic people and Romans. A story that is full of intrigue, betrayal, forbidden love, ancient rituals, animal sacrifices, and an evil curse. It is clear to see the author performed a large amount of research into the history of ancient Roman culture and the minvasion into Gaul and southern Britain. The map is excellent. I looked up Camulodunum (now modern-day Colchester) and it is in the correct location. I like a map with a book such as this one as it enables the reader to formulate a better idea of the area of the world where the story revolves around

This is the main point you have mentioned it the story because the whole story is based on this theme of Celtic and Romans.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

A multi-faceted piece of historical fiction like this is quite notable. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”