Review by faceadventure -- Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
faceadventure
2018 Reading Goal: 70
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Review by faceadventure -- Demon Freaks

Post by faceadventure » 22 May 2018, 04:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Even though they are identical twins, Bing and Ron Slaughter intentionally looked nothing alike and had different goals for their lives. The Slaughter brothers are high school juniors who should be getting ready for their SAT tests the following morning, instead they run into some trouble. During their “study session” they were having with their band members Kaitlyn and Meat all of them get dragged into dark and mysterious events that changed their lives for good. They encountered cult members, dark magic and monsters. Bing and Ron were never particularly close, but they knew how to work together when their friends were in danger. At the same time, after being separated from the twins, Kaitlyn and Meat were working together with a possessed dagger to get themselves to safety. Their history teacher, mr. and mrs. Slaughter and a local Golfers Association Club also get involved in the story in surprising ways.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it 1 star because it was a good story, the characters had solid character development and the scene settings were described very vividly which I like very much. On the other hand I didn’t give it 3 stars because while the characters had character development they don’t feel likeable or as interesting as they could have been if the author focused more on bringing depth to them.

I liked how casual this book is. There were some minor serious elements like Bing questioning the meaning of the universe and characters asking questions about the existence of an almighty being. But these things weren’t talked about too much, so while they weren’t really important to the story they were a small part of it. I also liked how the themes of magic and cults are not shown in an elaborate way, the origin of monsters and demons isn’t discussed about either. So there is no complicated worldbuilding involved.

Even though the book has a few plot holes here and there that didn't really ruin the story for me. But the thing bothering me the most about Demon Freaks is the ending which could have been done better. The conclusion was not satisfying because it left some important questions unanswered. One other thing I couldn’t wrap my head around is the way McDonald’s was involved in this story. I find it a bit too ridiculous to be honest. But I don’t want to explain the company’s involvement because it would contain too many spoilers in my opinion.

All things considered Demon Freaks is a fun book to read. I would recommend it to teenagers who like stories containing supernatural elements that are relatively short and easy to follow. However, I would not recommend it to people who are looking for books that go more in depth about themes of magic and mystical forces. This is a book that should be read when you want to relax and escape reality for a bit.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like faceadventure's review? Post a comment saying so!

AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles » 01 Jun 2018, 15:13

This book does not really fit my interest but I appreciate the review. I'm going to pass on this book. Thanks!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”