Review by Claudius1964 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claudius1964
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudius1964.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Review by Claudius1964 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Claudius1964 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have the pleasure of reviewing Opaque from Book 1 of the Scion Saga by Calix Leigh-Reign. This first book of a 3-part series found me in the head of Adam Caspian, a 16-year-old kid with a complete disregard for human life in the earliest part of the book, among his attitude to society in general would have mirrored my own at his age if it weren’t as sadistic in nature to downright murderous. It is hard to attach yourself to something unless you have a purpose, and Adam discovers his purpose when he casually falls in love with Carly Wit. Adam later discovers among his attraction that they have more in-common than what was readily apparent among a group of 7 different families of descendants.

Descendants are for the good of society. A Russian group of families that contain a power that is individual in nature and can be carried out to siblings through their DNA or the genetic traits of their blood. Carly and Adam get with a group of other personalities to overcome an opposing Russian force that wants to eliminate the descendants as much as the descendants want to eliminate them.

Among the turning of pages, we find Carly and Adam going through high-school in California trying to make things work out in their own way, dating, being a couple, dealing with parents, and comparing their talents with other descendants to take on the opposing Russian force. Carly and Adam’s struggle for honesty and Adam’s struggle with his own family made the book quite a turn-pager in my view. With his father cheating on his mother and the turn-around in the book about the emotional level difference between how he dearly loved his mother versus despising his father makes to clear that in the earlier part of the book that Adam was downright inhuman to his father as well as the others around him.

Adam learns compassion that he could only get through Carly, and they take on the forces of the opposing Russian force. I give the book 4 out of 4 stars, not only because of the near-perfect editing (no errors), but the story-line left me looking forward to the next page throughout the book. If Adam can start out as a bully, find love with Carly and turn around his feelings for other people, there is still hope for Adam in the world. Recognizing that he had this gift may have been a big part of it.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”