Review by gichimuAnn -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gichimuAnn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gichimuann.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by gichimuAnn -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by gichimuAnn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anna Simmons lost her biological father when she was 11-years-old and her mother got married to another man. Eight years later, Brian Simmons, John Simmons son shows up at their home and sends his father to his grave. Anna isn't affected by the loss of her step father because he was an abusive father, and he even physically hurt her mother. Anna is a subject to bullying at school, and she has problems back at home, so when she finds a boyfriend who cares for her and gives all the attention she does everything to please him. Six months into her relationship with Matt Preston, and she discovers it wasn't so real after all. Brian is the source of her problems, as he sets her up to pay his debt to the Preston's without her knowledge. She becomes a victim when her boyfriend Matt, his brother and father drug rape her.

Not long after this incident, Anna meets Rafael Brown. When he meets Anna, Rafe sees past her tough exterior and understands her pain before she talks about it. Having gone through similar experiences when he was in the army, he vows to help Anna bring justice to the Prestons as he comes up with a plan to get justice for what happened to him in Syria. He was set up to fail and then punished by being gang raped by his superiors. And he too was under the influence of a drug.

H. M. Irwing writes amazing stories, and this one was no exception. He targets the people in the society who suffer in silence because sometimes they're too scared to open up, too ashamed of their experiences, or they don't think they will ever get justice for what was done to them. When Rafe takes Anna to the police station to report rape, she has to relive those moments and there's still no assurance justice will be served even after she presents evidence of a second rape. This happens even in our society today.

Heartaches is a love story. It's a tale of bringing together two damaged souls and mending their broken hearts. Anna and Rafe's story is more about the strength they provide for each other during hard times, and the need to create a pure connection with each other. Their love grows and grows until they both can't deny it, and they fight for each other throughout. I'll definitely be reading the Heartaches series as I want to know how they overcome the demons of their pasts.

This book contains erotic content with scenes of rape being vividly described. I didn't mind these scenes, but I would recommend that someone with an experience of rape not to read it. However, I didn't like how some characters had to go so soon into the book. I would have loved to experience Yasmin helping Anna because she was her best friend. I also hoped to see a greater role for Aunt Belle, being the one providing housing to Anna and Rafe.

This book is perfectly edited. I give this book a perfect rating,4 out of 4 stars. It is a good romance for a mature audience.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”