Review by ahawl008 -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ahawl008
Favorite Book: Freiheit
Currently Reading: Cancer Was Not a Gift & It Didn't Make Me a Better Person
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahawl008.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Review by ahawl008 -- The Altitude Journals

Post by ahawl008 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book I chose to read and review is The Altitude Journals: A Seven-Year Journey from the Lowest Point in My Life to the Highest Point on Earth, by David J. Mauro. I have watched the movie Everest three times and when I read the description of this book, I was excited to read it. I am a cold-natured person who hates cold weather and snow, but I like these kinds of mountain climbing adventure books. I covered myself up, turned on my little electric heater, and began to read.

This nonfiction book is told in first-person by the author. He has successfully climbed the seven mountains which are each the tallest point on their respective continents. These are known collectively as the Seven Summits. Only 65 Americans have successfully climbed to the top of all of these seven mountains. Mauro is the 65th American. The mountains he climbed, in the order he climbed them, are Denali, in Alaska; Kilimanjaro, in Tanzania, Africa; Elbrus, in southern Russia; Aconcagua, in Argentina; Vinson Massif, in Antarctica; Carstensz Pyramid, in Papua, New Guinea; and Everest, in eastern Nepal.

Mauro describes his childhood, teenage years, and young adulthood, none of which seems to be successful at all. His father leaves the family for another woman when Mauro is a child, leaving the family almost destitute. It seems like nothing is going right in his life. His mother remarries, however, and his stepfather, Jack, makes the family happier.

Mauro and a lady he met in college got married and had two boys. They thought the marriage was happy, but problems arose. Divorce was mentioned. Mauro’s brother-in-law, Ty, invited him to go on a climb up Denali as an amateur mountain climber in a video he was making with professional climbers. Mauro felt now that he could go on the climb because he and his wife were separated.

I thought that Mauro wanted to do the difficult climb because he wished to prove that he could be a success at something—to make up for the failures in his early life. However, he continued to climb these Seven Summits, even though his life became very successful and he had nothing else to prove. Mauro describes the calling of these mountains this way: “Mountains don’t care that you have a young family counting on your return or that you are raising money for charity. They will tear you down to your most basic components, then invite you to go for broke.”

What I liked most about the book was Mauro’s description of the mechanics of climbing each mountain and how he felt health-wise. It is amazing to me that he was able to climb these mountains, especially the early ones, given his elementary level of experience, when other more professional climbers had to give up, or worse, were killed.

I can’t think of anything that I did not like about this book. That is why I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Also, I noticed only 3 typos in the book, showing that it was very well edited.

The first instance of profanity in the book is on Location 92, in the Prologue: “f*ck you, I said to the dolls.” I noted 14 other instances of profanity in the book. I was not really offended by this, given the activities he was involved in.

I think that this book would appeal most to those readers who enjoy true adventure novels and stories of real people triumphing over challenges that they have taken on.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is an inspiring story. I am looking forward to reading about the author's adventures - in spite of the cold! Thanks for the fascinating review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”