Review by Melchi Asuma -- Arsenic and Old Men

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Melchi Asuma -- Arsenic and Old Men

Post by Melchi Asuma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Arsenic and Old Men" by Glenn Ickler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As far as surprise revelations go, Arsenic and Old Men ranks very highly. I like to think that the author, Glenn Ickler, did a great job of hiding the killer until the end of the story. And even after the killer was revealed, I was still shocked and in disbelief. It really couldn't be, could it?

Dave, Jerome, Mitch, and their wives traveled to Massachusetts after Dave's uncle, Walt, died from a heart attack. Their main business there was to hear the will left by Walt and bury the body. Graciously enough, Walt had left Dave a massive fortune which was being held in a trust fund and a lovely cottage that could be sold for a lot of money. However, before Dave could rightfully accept this inheritance, it came to light that Walt had not died of a heart attack but rather he had been poisoned using arsenic. Someone somewhere had it in for the old man. Dave, being the diligent reporter he is, decides to follow the story to get to the bottom of it. However, all the odds are stacked against him including the fact that the detective on the case, Detective Manny Gouveia, was not happy with Dave's intrusion into his case. And just as they think they are about to close the case, another murder is committed…

Arsenic and Old Men is truly a twisted novel. Just when you think nothing further can go wrong, everything goes wrong. It is a wonderful read. The twists and turns are to die for, pun quite intended. The author made it almost impossible for us (the readers) to solve the case before he did it for us. Despite giving us most of the information, which he made sure to jumble and scramble all over the place, all we can do is keep our heads are turning trying to find the killer(s) to no avail.

The writing was also very nice and the narration compelling. I found very few grammatical errors within the entire text owing to the very professional editing of the book. The language used was also very simple yet very descriptive and telling. I have to give all the credits to the author for such an amazing read.

I genuinely did not find any aspect of the book that I did not like. For that, I have to award Arsenic and Old Men the highest rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a novel that should and will be enjoyed by diverse audiences, especially lovers of crime thrillers and detective novels.

Arsenic and Old Men
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MA

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”