Review by Magnify3 -- Jihadi Hijacking by Eric Auxier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Jihadi Hijacking by Eric Auxier

Review by Magnify3 -- Jihadi Hijacking by Eric Auxier

Post by Magnify3 » 11 Sep 2019, 15:55

[Following is a volunteer review of "Jihadi Hijacking" by Eric Auxier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jihadi Hijacking by Eric Auxier is a young adult novel about love, family, flying and terrorism. It is the third book in the Code name: Dodger series. It can also be read as a standalone book. Once more the story follows teen orphan Justin Reed on another adventure. Now legally adopted by former CIA agent Bob Cheney, Justin has settled down, and is doing well in school. Never one to stand by and watch as a physically challenged fellow freshman is bullied, Justin gets into a fight. Despite being a hero for the underdog, Justin gets suspended. Infuriated by Justin’s knack for getting into trouble, Bob decides to go with him on his next trip to Israel. What should be a father and son bonding trip, turns out to be a plane hijacking. Can Justin foil the hijackers’ plans and save the lives of the passengers on board the plane?

Filled with multiple interesting characters, the story does not fail to thrill. Justin is head strong, daring and noble. Unable to count the cost, he tends to be a lone ranger. Bob whilst being the strict adoptive father is able to read Justin like a book. In contrast he doesn’t see himself as one to save the world alone. For him, Justin comes first before all others. I like Justin’s caring attitude. While I actually always see Justin’s point at first, I have to concur with Bob when it comes to thinking like a parent. Lufti is a young hijacker, brainwashed to believe that a jihad is other than an inner struggle. His love for Najla blinds him to the truth. No nonsense ITA-Israeli agent, Yuri is heavy on detail and stringent on execution. In spite of being Bob’s counterpart, he is very suspicious of him.

The narrative is in the first person told from Justin’s point of view. Compared to the first book, Justin uses less slang. The book is an easy read and well formatted. The story builds up quickly though it slows down towards the end. I quite expected a hyped up finishing. The sober one was befitting nonetheless.

What I liked most about the book was the aspect of family. I like Bob’s development as a father and his concern for Justin. His soul is so knit to the lad that he would die if he lost him. I also liked the teaching on what a Jihad is. Learning that the greater jihad is not about the killing of infidels, but about dealing with ones inner struggle was helpful. It is sad how religious teachings when met with extremism can be so distorted. Lufti’s development also is rewarding. The scales fall off his eyes and he begins to see all men as brothers. The only thing I didn’t like was that I became sad when Justin was sad. It was hard to shake off the sadness. I should think that Auxier made him a very relatable character.

I noted very few errors in the book, thus I give it the rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Being a young adult novel, I would recommend it to teenagers as well as adults that like reading spy mystery stories. It would also suit those that have an interest in flying planes.

Jihadi Hijacking
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Coopers Law by Wendy Blundell

Post by Aniza Butt » 13 Sep 2019, 03:03

Often the term jihad is misinterpreted. Glad to know that the author tried to convey the deep meaning of jihad.
Thanks a lot for the review.
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 13 Sep 2019, 05:19

Aniza Butt wrote: ↑
13 Sep 2019, 03:03
Often the term jihad is misinterpreted. Glad to know that the author tried to convey the deep meaning of jihad.
Thanks a lot for the review.
I was learning the deep meaning for the first time. I wouldn't have figured that I would get my lesson from a teen spy novel :D Thanks for commenting!

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 215
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The Orangutan Rescue Gang by Joyce Major
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 13 Sep 2019, 22:34

This sounds like a very eye-opening and well-written novel. Thanks for a great review!

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Mama's Daycare by Ngozi Edema
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 18 Sep 2019, 13:00

Magnify3 wrote: ↑
11 Sep 2019, 15:55
The only thing I didn’t like was that I became sad when Justin was sad. It was hard to shake off the sadness. I should think that Auxier made him a very relatable character.
That's what a great book does to a reader! I'm glad the book was well-written and edited. It sounds like you learned a great deal reading it. Too bad for the book's somber ending. Great review! :tiphat:
“Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.”
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: The smell of wet bricks by Chia parvizpur

Post by rumik » 18 Sep 2019, 18:45

From the title, I thought this would be rather offensive in some way. But I'm surprised that the author went that deep into the real meaning of the term. Thanks for the great review!

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 19 Sep 2019, 01:55

unamilagra wrote: ↑
13 Sep 2019, 22:34
This sounds like a very eye-opening and well-written novel. Thanks for a great review!
You can say that again. I was not sure what I was getting into when I picked the book. I was sceptical about the title. I only decided to read it for the sake of continuity. I had enjoyed the first book so why not try this one. It did surprise me too. Thanks for the comments!

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 20 Sep 2019, 03:31

Ever_Reading wrote: ↑
18 Sep 2019, 13:00
Magnify3 wrote: ↑
11 Sep 2019, 15:55
The only thing I didn’t like was that I became sad when Justin was sad. It was hard to shake off the sadness. I should think that Auxier made him a very relatable character.
That's what a great book does to a reader! I'm glad the book was well-written and edited. It sounds like you learned a great deal reading it. Too bad for the book's somber ending. Great review! :tiphat:
So true! That's what a great book does to a reader! I learnt a lot. Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words!

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 20 Sep 2019, 03:35

rumik wrote: ↑
18 Sep 2019, 18:45
From the title, I thought this would be rather offensive in some way. But I'm surprised that the author went that deep into the real meaning of the term. Thanks for the great review!
I had similar thoughts about the title. I decided to read the book for the sake of continuity since I had already read the first book. So glad the book didn't reflect my thoughts of the title. Thanks for the comments!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 24 Sep 2019, 14:17

I have read this author before and really enjoyed his writing style. This series sounds interesting with intriguing plots and well-developed characters. I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the recommendation.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 27 Sep 2019, 05:50

kdstrack wrote: ↑
24 Sep 2019, 14:17
I have read this author before and really enjoyed his writing style. This series sounds interesting with intriguing plots and well-developed characters. I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the recommendation.
You are most welcome. This is the second book of his that I have read so far. I would love to read more of this series too. I hope you get to find them soon.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: A-Drift on the Road by Cynthia J Dueringer

Post by Prisallen » 13 Oct 2019, 12:37

I haven't read any of his books yet, but this one definitely sounds intriguing. Would I be lost without reading the first books in the series beforehand? Thanks for a wonderful review!

Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 » 15 Oct 2019, 07:27

Prisallen wrote: ↑
13 Oct 2019, 12:37
I haven't read any of his books yet, but this one definitely sounds intriguing. Would I be lost without reading the first books in the series beforehand? Thanks for a wonderful review!
It really is a good book and you will not be lost reading it. I still have not read the second book and I didn't feel lost without it. I hope that you get to read it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”