Review by Ikigai -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by Ikigai -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Ikigai » 03 Jul 2019, 07:35

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked?, by William Combs, is a non-fiction book which provides an informed understanding of good and evil. The author, a retired Presbyterian minister, has written a beautiful story of faith, relationships, and everything in between. The book simplifies God's prophecies and the creation of man and woman to lead to a better understanding. The story starts with a brief description of his childhood adventure, where he finds the path of light. From here, he goes to discuss the difference between a little penlight and the aurora borealis.

Who Told You That You Were Naked? brings out an exciting perspective on the story of Adam, Eve, and the Garden of Eden. As a non-Christian, I know little about the Bible, but I'm open to new perspectives. Whilst reading the story, the simple and organized writing style of the author made me clearly visualise each image. It took me almost eight days to complete the book, so I could savour all of the refreshing insights.

The book is divided into ten chapters; each of them divided into subsections between three and fifteen. By the end of each subsection, the author provides an explanation of a specific verse, from the story of Adam, Eve, and the Garden of Eden. The book is an effective way to introduce the teachings of Christianity; about the significance of marriage, relationships, and many other things we experience in daily life. But personally, this type of structure was confusing and maybe, it would have been better if the author's explanations were inserted later in the text, so the Creation Story could have been told first in its entirety. Also, there are questions for discussion, as well as some questions of our own, after the chapter finishes. So, it would be more helpful if I were to read it in a group study and debate about it.

The book seems professionally edited and I would recommend it to Christian readers, but also to the non-Christians who are looking to develop their understanding of good and evil. Although I had some difficulty and confusion in my reading experience, it wasn't significant enough to drop one star. Therefore, I will rate Who Told You That You Were Naked? 4 out of 4 stars.

We, as human beings, commit countless sins, with or without knowledge. We automatically feel ashamed and guilty. We often lie to ourselves about the situation and what is going on inside of us. But there is always a person to whom we could be "naked", honest, and not feel ashamed. We easily connect with that person. That person can be anyone to us, our parents, companions, or the Lord himself. The question is, are we to be true to not only them but to ourselves as well? How often do we give in to our anxiety and fall into the dark hole? This book opened the doors to these questions.

Also, the book gives an understanding that perfection doesn’t exist. We sin repeatedly. What matters is, have we thought it through, of all the consequences that might arise upon acting on sin? Or are we just performing another sin in order to hide the previous one?

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Pity the Devil' Wife by W. Hanelan
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari » 11 Jul 2019, 08:51

Amazing reviewing skills. This seems to be a great read for religious people or even those who hold interest in the author's perspective. I like how you detail the book and how content rich your review is. Thanks for the thorough review. I enjoyed it.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ikigai » 11 Jul 2019, 13:22

Ekta Kumari wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 08:51
Amazing reviewing skills. This seems to be a great read for religious people or even those who hold interest in the author's perspective. I like how you detail the book and how content rich your review is. Thanks for the thorough review. I enjoyed it.
Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed my review.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 64
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Happy Place by Alexis Clear
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 11 Jul 2019, 23:29

I am awed by your openness to receiving the teachings of the Christian faith. We can all learn from each other.

Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: Chase and the Trampoline Car by Meridyth Sutherland

Post by Daniel_ » 15 Jul 2019, 00:53

I've read the book too and its wonderful.
Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”