Review by Helena91 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by Helena91 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Helena91 » 09 May 2019, 15:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted threads by Kaylin McFarren is a psychological thriller novel. Often, when writers write, they have different reasons and motivation for doing so. It could be to explain a particular subject or to tell the history of a people or even as a tribute to a dead person. But this book was written purely as a form of entertainment. In the author's word, "the characters are credible, compelling, maligning, three-dimensional beings who are about as flawed, troubled, and contradictory as the written word allows".

The story follows the life of Akira as a professional assassin. She is committed to Zakura-Kai, Japan's notorious yakuza family. For the Zakura-Kai, the quest for vengeance upon former enemies was a necessity. They were brutal, deadly, and thorough in their operations. By some cruel fate, Akira, a former naive geiko found herself in this association. She was drowning in an ocean of hopelessness, unable to see a way out of her ordeal. Just then an opportunity came. She was asked to kill whoever was involved in the murder of Keiko, Mitsui-San’s sister and regain her freedom. To accomplish this mission, she has to board the cruise ship, Merry Mermaid. However, the story took a twist as she became romantically entangled with Devon.

There couldn't have been a better title for this novel. When I thought I could guess the rest of the story, the events took a different turn. I became curious to know how the story would eventually end. The author did a great job of telling the story from both Akira and Devon perspectives. It makes the book compelling to read.

I love that the character of the protagonist at the beginning of the book wasn't the same at the end. She progressed from being a hopeless assassin to a confident woman. She became the master of her own life and directed the course it takes. Although the author stated clearly in the author's note that "this book is purely for entertainment" but the book did more than that ( It's a motivating book). In life, we have to keep been hopeful even if been hopeful doesn't make sense.

The only downside to this book will be that the author added too many details, some of which were unnecessary. It makes the book to look as though the author was beating around the bush, not knowing exactly where she was heading. Additionally, I didn't fancy the inclusion of Japanese words without English interpretation.

I rate Twisted Threads 3 out of 4 stars, with 1 star deducted because of the reasons I mentioned above. Although I found three typo errors, it did not distract my reading interest. It was explicitly edited. I will recommend it to all book lovers especially those that prefer thriller and romance books.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helena91's review? Post a comment saying so!

daviddawud
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daviddawud.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by daviddawud » 25 May 2019, 16:19

I have read this book too and I couldn't agree more with you. The unnecessary details were a bit boring to me. Nevertheless, the author did a great job in describing the main characters. Great review you have written here.

Helena91

Post by Helena91 » 26 May 2019, 15:46

daviddawud wrote:
25 May 2019, 16:19
I have read this book too and I couldn't agree more with you. The unnecessary details were a bit boring to me. Nevertheless, the author did a great job in describing the main characters. Great review you have written here.
Thank you for stopping by

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 26 May 2019, 20:07

I also read this book, and I agree that some of the detail seemed to be drawn out. I often found myself saying "Get to the point already!' I like how you mentioned that Akira's character showed immense growth from the beginning of the book to the end. Thanks for the wonderful review!

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 250
Currently Reading: On Jail: The Essays
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: There Is Help In The Midst Of Your Trials by Diane Hastings

Post by Anthony__ » 27 May 2019, 16:51

I have read this book. I agree with you on the unnecessary details the author added. I was also expecting more of Assassins' nature of Akira. Great review!

Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Helen91 » 31 May 2019, 07:05

I read this book also and it was an interesting one. Your review is very correct!

Helena91

Post by Helena91 » 31 May 2019, 16:35

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
26 May 2019, 20:07
I also read this book, and I agree that some of the detail seemed to be drawn out. I often found myself saying "Get to the point already!' I like how you mentioned that Akira's character showed immense growth from the beginning of the book to the end. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Thanks so much for taking time to comment on my review

Helena91

Post by Helena91 » 31 May 2019, 16:35

Helen91 wrote:
31 May 2019, 07:05
I read this book also and it was an interesting one. Your review is very correct!
Thank you

Helena91

Post by Helena91 » 31 May 2019, 16:36

Anthony__ wrote:
27 May 2019, 16:51
I have read this book. I agree with you on the unnecessary details the author added. I was also expecting more of Assassins' nature of Akira. Great review!
Thank you

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading: Blocks
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 01 Jun 2019, 19:07

Other than the author drawing out the details for too long, it sounds like a very interesting book. I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for the review!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

Helena91

Post by Helena91 » 03 Jun 2019, 16:29

Kelyn wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 19:07
Other than the author drawing out the details for too long, it sounds like a very interesting book. I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for the review!
Yea, it will be good you check it out. Thanks for stopping by

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”