Review by lisalynn -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Review by lisalynn -- The Altitude Journals

Post by lisalynn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David J. Mauro joins the Ozone Brotherhood as he climbs the highest mountain peak on each continent becoming the sixty-fifth American to conquer the Seven Summits. The Altitude Journals is the eloquent accounting of how he accomplished this amazing feat.

He subtitles this work “A Seven-Year Journey from the Lowest Point in My Life to the Highest Point on Earth.” At age forty-four, Mauro dubs his life a disaster. He’s newly divorced and feels he’s failed at marriage—just like his absentee father. He’s still lamenting his brother’s alcohol-fueled death eight years earlier—he’s failed to save his only brother. In the midst of his despair, an invitation arrives from brother-in-law Ty to join a team climbing Denali (Mt. McKinley) in Alaska. Although Mauro is not a mountain climber, he accepts the challenge. He doesn’t know it yet, but this is the start of his quest.

Each chapter is titled with the name of the mountain the author climbs, but this isn’t a dry recitation of compass points or GPS coordinates. With an engaging style and wry humor, Mauro chronicles his personal life’s struggles as well as the physical hardships he faces on each expedition. The story is beautifully written, sometimes waxing downright poetic. “This night, they burned a cinnamon tree. The smell was intoxicating, otherworldly. It permeated everything in camp—our sleeping bags and clothing, our hair and tents. It quashed the collective bouquet of our humanity, now ripened by effort and heat.”

My least favorite chapter is about Vincent Massif (elev. 16,050’) in Antarctica. It’s his fifth climb, and by the time he decides to go, he feels he’s been told by the fates “to write” rather than “to climb”. He heads south simply to have something worthwhile to write about. This turns out to be the least enjoyable trek for him and it shows in his writing.

The most sparkling chapters, by far, are about Denali (elev. 20,310’) and Everest (elev. 29,029’). Denali because it’s his first foray into the high altitude realm. He braves the steep learning curve in ice and snow to return stronger and wiser. And Everest just because it’s Everest—the highest point on Earth and the most dangerous, life-threatening journey a human can attempt. The tremendous sense of accomplishment and joy Mauro experiences at each summit brought tears to my eyes.

Mauro discovers that enduring the hardships of such extreme adventures requires finding joy every day. He applies this principle to all aspects of his life and is able to heal many emotional wounds from his past.

On the surface, the book seems best suited for adventure lovers, mountain climbers and other outdoor enthusiasts. However, anyone can relate to the author’s everyday challenges and take inspiration from his philosophy of approaching any monumental task one step at a time. This is a personal tale, often deeply spiritual, always honest even if the truth is not neat and pretty. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s all but pristine in its editing and includes interesting facts about mountain climbing that the average person would not know. If a book is supposed to take readers where they may never be able to go, Mauro succeeds in 29,029 ways.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lisalynn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Wow. You're pretty good at reviewing. I like how you explain why you loved the book. Thanks for the detailed work!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I'm not very interested in mountain climbing bit this does sounds like a good book for those that are. Thanks for the detailed review!
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

lisalynn wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 09:31 If a book is supposed to take readers where they may never be able to go, Mauro succeeds in 29,029 ways.
What a radiant closure for your outstanding review! It was a pleasure reading your work. The book seems to be motivational, but your review added a sparkling touch.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Thank you all for the kind comments!
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

Excellent review! I also thought that the chapters about Denali and Everest were the best. I really enjoyed this book!
benharris
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by benharris »

This is a great book. I enjoyed it too.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”