Cover for Final Notice

The First Ten Feedback for Final Notice

Because Final Notice was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

gali

I may have sampled the book on my own as the synopsis of a device that can predict death grabbed my attention. The OBC review further had me intrigued. The cover is eye-catching, but the blurb is far too detailed. The sampled opened with the story of Vince and Trudi, which I found a bit boring. All they did at first was walking the dog, eating dinner and watching a tedious interview about gun control on TV. Things improved a bit after that, but not by much. In addition, I didn't care for the writing style, finding it a bit flat. I won't read the book as the sample just didn't engage me enough to want to continue reading. What is more, the reviewer said the novel is biased towards anti-gun ownership, and I steer clear of propaganda books.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 10:47 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Yolimari

At first, I did not think too much about this book because of its cover art, but it discusses interesting and contemporary subjects. I think someone will probably invent a watch like the one in the story in the near future. However, I will not read this book because it sounds quite preachy. The author preaches about gun control, which I think is understandable, but then I noticed he also preaches about Americans’ culture. I did not appreciate at all the narrator explaining how the culture in the US is not as open as most cultures in other countries. As a well-travelled person with a graduate degree, I know for a fact that is not true.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 11:24 am by Yolimari.

Izesicle

Had I not actually sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read or sample this book based on the cover. I like the modern design which hints at the genre. The book title in the watch is a bit too on the nose though, because it's repetitive. Maybe it can say something else, like a countdown?
I am going to buy and read the whole book because the premise is interesting and I want to support the cause.
Based on what I read, the book seems like it was professionally edited. I didn't notice typo or grammar errors.
What I like the most in the bit I read was that the author's and book's stance on guns was clear, so readers are warned.
What could be improved is nothing, except for the minor thing about the cover.
The book has an Official OnlineBookClub review that I saw.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 11:26 am by Izesicle.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Christina O Phillips

The title is too simple to me and the cover art screams action, which is a genre I do not read or watch. The first half of the summary sounded interesting: stories of people who know they have 30 or less days to live. However, the second half made the book sound like it was politically driven, biasly stating that America is gun crazy, etc. I would have skipped this sample if not for the program. The first story had promise, but the reason I read fiction is as an escape from reality. I don't need to read about the NRA, the president and their relations with Russia, and shootings when I am trying to escape reality and get lost in a good story. This book is just not for me.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 11:26 am by Christina O Phillips.

CataclysmicKnight

When I first saw this cover I really didn't know what was going on, so I likely wouldn't have checked it out if not for it being the book of the day. However, when I looked into the Amazon description I really got interested - the idea of people learning 10 days ahead of their death when they'd die was really intriguing, and so was the way people reacted to that news. Diving in, it quickly became very evident that this was a politics-first book (at least so far), but the writing was perfectly edited and easy to read so it didn't throw me off. In fact, I like the idea of a political book with a layer of fiction; it makes the political stuff easier to read and adds depth to the fiction. The 4/4 OBC review is definitely the icing on the cake, so I definitely want to finish reading this sometime!

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 12:15 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

micoleon13

I like this cover page, for some reason it brings to mind the movie Minority Report. I would pick this up to find out more. The Onlinebookclub review was very complementary and made me more interested in reading this book. The pages which I read were well written and edited and I immediately was drawn into the story. I liked how it looked at gun control and how the NRA try to attract people to own a gun. I have no ideas for improvement and I would like to continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 12:42 pm by micoleon13.

ritah

I read the official review of the book . And after reading the sample I liked that the book appeared to be professionally edited as I did not spot a single error in the sample. Based on the cover and title I wouldn't have sampled the book because I don't usually select books on gun violence. It is for that reason that I won't be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 1:33 pm by ritah.

MsTri

Based on the cover and title, I definitely would have had interest in this book, but I would have needed the synopsis to further my interest, as I never judge books by their covers (and/or titles). The synopsis definitely increased my interest, as did the official review, here. Now, having read the sample, I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and buy it and read the whole thing ... Besides being properly edited, the thing I liked most about the sample/beginning of the book was that it didn't just jump into the whole 'What would you do if you knew you could die' thing; it started off with news of a murder and some interesting senior citizen gun ownership information. Knowing what's to come, I suspect that Mr. Mason had received a Final Notice, but it isn't a given just yet. And then the sample ends with the introduction to the plot point, as if it was a cliffhanger, thereby pretty much solidifying my interest in buying the book so as to see what happens next.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 1:38 pm by MsTri.

Snowflake

The cover and title match the book once you've started reading it but they don't really indicate what the book will be about before you have a look at it. I probably would not have read this book without the first ten pages program. The Amazon blurb was good, if a bit long, and the OBC review gave an excellent idea of what the book is like. I enjoyed the sample and did not notice any obvious typos or grammar errors. The characters were clearly depicted and the story set up well. The writing flowed nicely and the characters were very relatable. I am very curious to find out what happens to the characters I have been introduced to so far. I have a lot on the go right now though so I do not plan to purchase this book today. I am interested in it though and will keep it in mind for the future.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 1:48 pm by Snowflake.

Kat Kennedy

I probably wouldn’t have picked this book up from looking at the cover, but after reading the review and the first ten pages, I am very interested in reading this book. I like the idea behind the book. It’s a timely subject, and I like the way the author has chosen to address it. The author grabbed my attention from the first page. I find the characters interesting, and feel the plot will be intriguing. I found no editorial issues within the first ten pages. I can’t wait to see where this book goes! I will be reading this one.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 1:55 pm by Kat Kennedy.

K_Robinson

The cover of this book had me intrigued, but after reading the sample I will not be finishing this book. Based on the cover, I assumed I would be reading a murder mystery or action book. After reading the first page it became abundantly clear that the author was anti-gun ownership. I am pro-gun ownership, so this was very off-putting for me. I felt the author portrayed the senior citizens as incompentant idiots who were easily manipulated by advertisements and news storys. The NRA was painted as a manipulating entity pushing their agenda onto these citizens as well. I did, however, like the idea of the gadget issuing the wearer their final notice. If the plot surrounded this idea more and left out the anti-gun agenda, I may have finished this book.

The book seemed professionally edited though, which is a big bonus in my eyes!

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 3:38 pm by K_Robinson.

jwalker73

I was initially deterred by this book due to the cover since I do not like guns. The blurb and review, however, made me think this novel may actually suit my taste. It sounds like it provides an interesting plot and addresses the controversial subject of gun control. I do not think I would have chosen to read it, although I was somewhat interested in the story line.
The first ten appeared professionally edited and the writing flowed well and was engaging. I enjoyed getting to know some of the characters and trying to gauge how each one felt about guns. I would like to read more of this book, so will add it to my want-to-read list. I will not buy it today, however, as I have many other books to currently read.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 3:43 pm by jwalker73.

Ashley Simon

I wouldn't have picked up this book ordinarily. The cover art and title give the impression of a crime/thriller, and this isn't a genre I love. I hadn't read the OBC review when I read the first ten pages of the book. I thought the commentary on gun control was interesting, and I was curious to see how this played out. Vince and Trudi made a likable pair. I felt my attention wandering during the first ten pages, though. I don't plan to finish this book, simply because the plot didn't capture me. I didn't notice any significant grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 4:09 pm by Ashley Simon.

Shelle

Based on the cover, I expected this book to be a fast-paced thriller, however the blurb led me to believe it would be more thoughtful and introspective, so I was a bit confused when I began reading the sample. The main characters seem nice enough, although their prejudice toward others not like them was very evident and they appeared to be quite elitist. Perhaps their characters would develop more over the course of the story. The author clearly has an agenda with this book and I admire their passion and commitment. However, the fact that they specifically arranged for their book to be BOTD right after a horrific incident seems tasteless and predatory and I feel they're trying to take advantage of peoples' fears and anxieties. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 4:13 pm by Shelle.

IsabelMay

Death predictions are nothing new, it's an overused theme both in literature and cinematography. The unique thing about this book's premise is the fact that predictions are in relation to blood. That peaked my curiosity, so I stopped reading the description at that point
not to ruin the impression. I've only seen a few book descriptions that are as long as this one, they reveal too much information and leave no space for the reader's imagination. I was a bit discouraged after the sample, the characters are relatable and lovable, but there's no storyline to follow. Nothing interested happened, so it left a ''meh'' impression. I won't be buying the book as the storyline disappointed me, it's slow and not gripping.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 4:14 pm by IsabelMay.

BunnySTx

After reading a sample of, Final Notice by Van Fleisher, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book. If I had based my decision on the blurb, I would have bought this book. The blurb pulled me in and made me want to know more about the story. The prospect of a watch that tells when you are going to die intrigued me. The way the story starts off, with the older man fuming about an incident did not draw me in. It wasn't what I was expecting from the blurb. I would have liked it more if the author had started the story off with the scientists creating the watch. I feel this would have appealed to me more. Then they could shift the story to the older couple debating whether to get a gun. I will not be purchasing this book because the beginning does not keep my interest. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. I found the review to be interesting, but it wasn't enough to regain my interest.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 5:45 pm by BunnySTx.

CrescentMoon

I think the cover is perfect for the story since there is a strong anti-gun message in the book. Based on the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. Although I do find the premise to be extremely unique and interesting, I'm not really a fan of reading about guns, so I don't think I would enjoy this as much. After reading the sample, I do believe the book so far is well-written. I think the last sentence of the prologue does an excellent job to hook the reader into reading the book because it really sets the stage nicely for what a person may do knowing the final moments of their life. However, I think this isn't for me just based on the genre.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 6:37 pm by CrescentMoon.

Afuglsan

This is an interesting one. The cover and title don't appeal to me. It looks like its going to be a boring military or detective book. I prefer fantasy much more. However, reading the reviews threw me off. This book really wasn't what I thought it was going to be about. Still, it did not appeal to me. So far the book appears to be edited. The writing style is definitely one-sided as far as the American political system is concerned. I also found the writing to be a bit simple and repetitive. I do like the overall premise of the book. I think it is unique, for sure. I will not be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 7:39 pm by Afuglsan.

ZenaLei7

Although the sample was interesting and the plot seemed to hold my attention well, I decided not to buy the book. The main reason why is because the book is not free. If the book were free, I would have definitely gotten the book. I also read the official OBC review which made the book sound intriguing but it wasn't enough to convince me to buy the book.While reading the sample,I didn't notice any major grammatical errors either. If I was to base my opinion on the book cover or title on whether if I should read the book or not, I probably would have still sampled the book. What I like the most about the sample was the plot.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 7:42 pm by ZenaLei7.

Vermont Reviews

Final Notice by Van Fleisher today's book of the day. I did purchase the book based on reading the preview. The author shows the emotional feelings through his characters and story plot is currently an issue in the news. Looking forward to finishing this book. I would have read the preview based on the cover.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 7:54 pm by Vermont Reviews.

va2016

The title "Final notice" sounds like a great title for a fiction,
but it does not reflect on the subject of the book. The cover
does not exactly reflect the subject of the book although the
gun might convey the message, but I am not sure. If I had not
sampled the book, I would have thought that this is a contemporary
action fiction, but wouldn't have thought it's to do with gun
control, and elders & children being affected by gun attacks.

I am going to read this book in full, to get perspective on
gun control in USA. My sampling did change my mind to read the
book, instead of skipping it because of the title and the cover.

The book is professionally formatted. I found one mechanical
error - "Sean agree" should be "Sean agreed" in one of the first
ten pages.

I liked the topic of the book very much. I don't find anything
negative on the book.

I did find the OnlineBookClub.org review of the book, but the
review is not going to affect my decision on reading the book
in full.

I am going to read the book in full!

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 10:55 pm by va2016.

Mallory Whitaker

I wouldn't have sampled this book on my own. I don't like having political opinions shoved down my throat because I get enough of that in my daily life. I think politics are caustic and I read books to escape real life. The premise and the cover look interesting though - it's just my personal preference here. After reading the first ten pages and the Official Review on this site, I stand firm in my opinion that this isn't the book for me for the reason stated above. However, this is a really interesting idea that reminds me of "The Purge". The descriptions are beautifully done and this seems like a well-crafted book. I commend the author for using their platform to address their concerns. I am by no means saying they shouldn't - I just don't enjoy this kind of reading (especially as a gun owner).

First Ten review added on November 12, 2017, at 11:02 pm by Mallory Whitaker.

ananya92

The story starts in California and takes the reader to a futuristic world, where it will be possible to estimate the time of death, as long as its a normal death. The experiment does not take into account unforeseen circumstances like accidents, etc. While it has many benefits like finalizing wills and setting affairs in order, the pitfall is that it also leaves scope for people to finish their unfinished revenge and murders before the final time comes. As the description suggests, this is an intriguing concept and a suspenseful book. The review was really helpful and encouraging, as also pointed out the positives of the book. The book seems to be edited properly as well. Much as I was fascinated by reading the sample, the book is slightly long, and I don't see it as holding my attention for a long period time, mainly due to the fact that currently I'm not into science fiction. Therefore, I'll skip this one.

First Ten review added on November 13, 2017, at 1:04 am by ananya92.

Quinto

I would have chosen to read or sample the novel "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher based on its cover, title and editorial review. This is because of the curious interplay between the book title and its graphics. To my pleasant surprise, reading the book elicited in me a better experience than my initial first impression of the book. Not only does it put into focus the controversial issue of gun ownership, especially to senior citizens, but, additionally, presents startling statistics on gun related incidents. For example, "over 13,000 people had been killed in the US during the past year in gun homicides and unintentional shootings, excluding suicides." This piqued my interest, and in this respect, I would read the whole book.

Based on my reading, the book seems professionally edited, and I didn't come across any typos or grammar errors. What I liked most about the book, is the warm dialogue between the main characters, Vince and his wife, Trudi. They drove the theme on gun ownership wonderfully through their day-to-day interactions. Consequently, I felt this was the best way to bring out this sensitive subject into the public arena. Lastly, the book has an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on November 13, 2017, at 2:41 am by Quinto.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this read. The main reason is because it seems to be very gun-oriented; guns, in general, make me feel uncomfortable and I wish we didn't have any in the world. When reading the blurb, I did find the concept of knowing when the last day to live interesting. Even with the OBC reviewer stating the amount of gun talk this book contains, my interest was piqued due to the praise the book has gotten. Based on what I read, I did not see any glaring errors. When reading, I found Vince's character to be likable and complex; he seems sweet, especially with his wife, but troubled due to the disrespect he receives as a senior citizen. However, I found the sample too gun-oriented for my taste. Every time the word 'gun' came up, it made me feel uncomfortable and I do not like to think about more people owning guns to defend themselves. Therefore, I do not plan on finishing this read.

First Ten review added on November 13, 2017, at 2:53 am by hsimone.

Mercy Bolo

Final notice by Van Fleisher is a thriller novel that aims to answer the question of what people will do with their time if they knew that they only had a limited time to live. Based on the official review and the title, I would have picked it up. I'm not excited about the cover though. After sampling the first ten pages I felt that the story dragged and for this reason I won't read the rest of it.

First Ten review added on November 13, 2017, at 4:21 am by Mercy Bolo.

bookowlie

The cover has a fairly generic look for a crime/thriller book - nothing bad, nothing special. The summary blurb is free of grammatical/spelling error, but there is no line break between the last two paragraphs. Although the summary is well written, it is extremely long and tells too much about the story - I lost interest after a while. The beginning pages appear to be professionally edited. I found it hard to become absorbed in the story, but that might be due to my personal tastes. Based on the summary and sample, I am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on November 13, 2017, at 11:59 am by bookowlie.

DDunstock

The sci-fi-esque nature certainly attracts me to this book, however, it is a recycled premise; you have ten days to live, what do you do? I can't imagine a ton of originality based solely on the book blurb, so I would be hesitant to read this book.
The writing isn't bad, but I was a bit turned off of the prologue. It was like reading the book blurb (well, they were identical) rather than the setting of the scene for the book. The writing isn't bad, but I didn't feel any connection to the protagonist, Vince. I wouldn't continue reading the book.

First Ten review added on November 13, 2017, at 12:59 pm by DDunstock.

Scerakor

From the cover, description, and review of this book, I may have picked it up. The plot was unique enough to intrigue me and it had a good political message to it as well. After reading the first 10 pages, it was confirmed that I liked this book. The writing was intelligent, the character development well-rounded, and again, the political message was there. I will be reading the rest of this book eventually. I didn't see any editing errors which leads me to believe the book is well written and edited.

First Ten review added on November 13, 2017, at 6:24 pm by Scerakor.

MarisaRose

After reading the OBC review and the blurb for this book, I wasn’t excited about this book. I don’t think the main themes and political thrill aspect are really for me. After sampling the beginning, I thought the writing was decent. The narrative appears to be free of errors, and the writing style flowed well. However, I wasn’t intrigued by the main premise of knowing that you have a certain time to live. Also, I had a hard time connecting to the main character. I don’t plan to purchase this book.

First Ten review added on November 13, 2017, at 8:05 pm by MarisaRose.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover of the book I was initially interested. It screams out thriller, or some type of crime book. I likely would have at minimum sampled this book if not for the first ten. After sampling the first ten I don’t think is a book I can complete. I don’t like that it’s told from the third person point of view. I have a hard time getting into the characters when the writing is that way. The OBC review didn’t influence my descision either way to read or not. After the sample and review I decided this isn’t a book I’d like to finish at this time. I didn’t see any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 13, 2017, at 11:20 pm by Cjgarland89.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book without this program. I was interested in the storyline that was described in the review. What would you do if you knew? After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. It started off too slow for me. There was also a lot of dialogue- too much for my taste. It did seem to be professionally edited. However, I thought that there was an overuse of ellipses.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 3:13 am by anneloretrujillo.

ZeroChill

I would have read this book without sampling the first pages. The book belongs to one my favourite genres and it is hard for me to skip past a good action book. The title and cover of this book are super attractive, and I will be reading the full book after buying it. In the initial pages I liked how the writer has developed the main characters of the story. There were no mistakes in the first ten pages so I can safely say it was professionally edited. Nothing needs to be improved in this book. The prologue actually grabbed me from the neck and threw me inside this intriguing book. The review was also good and it further encouraged me to read the book.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 3:26 am by ZeroChill.

Radhika_17

Based on the cover and the premise of the story, I would’ve bought the book without a doubt. However, the writing disappointed me by not capturing my attention. The flow was too ordinary, and the political part of the book made me stay away from it.
The sample was plain, nothing very exciting. I wasn’t prompted to keep reading. There weren’t any glaring editing errors. I will not be buying the book.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 3:28 am by Radhika_17.

Gravy

Not strictly my sort of book, but the sci-fi twist to it interested me so I likely would have looked into it. I love the inspiration behind the story.
As for the actual sample, I found some of the dialogue to be awkward (especially early on), and the transcribing of the news programs also. The rest was enjoyable and of a very readable style, and I noticed no errors.
Due to these issues, and my preference for physical copies over ebooks, I do not plan to read this. I would recommend it to fans of the core genre.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 4:08 am by Gravy.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would not have read this book as I do not read this genre. After reading the sample I have not changed my mind as I think the book is a little to non-fiction-like and realistic. However, I did like how the prologue incorporated philosophy. It was professionally edited. The official review did not change my mind.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 4:56 am by psychopathycathy.

ButterscotchCherrie

I probably wouldn't have sampled this since I am not keen on violence. However, on the basis of the first ten pages, I will buy and read the book because it gives an intriguing perspective on how the world could become in the near future. I will also be glad to contribute to the donations to organizations working for a better country. This seemed professionally edited as I did not notice any errors except "petit" instead of "petite". I liked the characters and descriptions, and the way the situation is set up at the beginning. The OnlineBookClub review gave the impression that the existence of the devices indicating a person's time of death was common knowledge; consequently I was surprised that that Stan Mason, for example, didn't seem to be thinking about that.

First Ten review added on November 14, 2017, at 5:13 am by ButterscotchCherrie.

lavellan

I would have read the sample of Final notice if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review made it seem extremely relevant in today's political climate. The book seemed professionally edited and I only noticed one error while reading. Grandchildren was incorrectly spelled. I enjoyed the relevancy of the book and how the author portrayed the gun debate. I probably am not going to buy the book today because it's not the genre that I am usually interested in.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 9:25 am by lavellan.

RebeccasReading

This is a book I would not have normally read. It seems fairly interesting but the description didn't do enough to make me buy it. After reading the sample, my opinion has not changed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough to make me want to finish reading it. The thing I liked most is the concept. An elderly, terminally-ill man going on a killing spree is something I haven't read before. What I didn't like is the execution. I would have like to have read more background information about main character in the first 10 pages. Instead, it goes quickly into narrating a news segment and I lost interest. I didn't notice any errors so I think it was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 12:55 pm by RebeccasReading.

Emmanae

I actually already own this book, but I hadn't started reading it yet! I was really excited from the amazon blurb about it being at the expense of the far right. I did find an error in the beginning of the book, "corgi" is capitalized, and that is one of the many dog breeds that is not a proper noun and therefore doesn't need to be capitalized, I do think the book was professionally edited despite this mistake. One thing I didn't like was the term "other half" used to describe the far right. To me "other half" is synonymous with "significant other" as opposed to "other side" or something. It's a really minor detail, but it threw me off for a second. I can tell that this book is going to be a tough but super necessary read, and I'm really looking forward to it. I really cringed at the mention of arming guards in schools because it seems so painfully relevant to current political talks. I cannot wait to finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 1:56 pm by Emmanae.

BookishCreature

I was planning on picking this book up for the OBC Book of the Month, but the positive reviews assured me that it was going to be a good read. I like sci-fi thrillers, and the concept of a countdown clock to your own death is really intriguing. After reading the first ten pages, I'll admit that I was a little put off by the misspelling of 'foreword' as 'forward,' though the rest of the sample was well-written and seemed to have been thoroughly edited. Besides that first typo, I can't see any room for improvement, and I'm looking forward to finishing the story.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 2:45 pm by BookishCreature.

L_Therese

An image of a firearm on the cover is not likely to attract me to a book, so without this program, I would probably never have learned more about this one. When I read the promotional materials, I was intrigued by the timeliness of the issue and the promise of some subtle humor to make a creatively-told political viewpoint readable. I also respected the author/publisher for being upfront about the bias. As I read the first ten pages, I saw that the author was allowing the issue to be complex, with motivations to own or use guns warring with resistance to the idea. I decided to keep reading this time to see how it will all play out.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 4:59 pm by L_Therese.

NL Hartje

The cover almost seems like it was made for, or by, a senior citizen; with the double verbiage of "Final Notice" it echoes the repetition often seen in aged citizens. I dislike the art altogether. The reviews and jacket blurb are more interesting than the cover and ten-page sample, however. The reviews suggest more about the blood-tracking device which for me, is the most interest part of the book. It is completely left out of the first ten pages which in my opinion, was a mistake by the author. The most intriguing part of the book should have been pushed at the start to hook the reader. As it stands, the book looks professionally edited but I am not hooked. Following the rampages of senior citizens is not up my alley, so I will politely pass.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 5:35 pm by NL Hartje.

Dolor

The book of the month is very enticing to read. Everything in it is professionally edited - the cover, the title, the genre, first ten pages, and the contents in general. I would have chosen to buy, and to read this book even without the First Ten program. Reading the OBC review with the perfect 4 out of 4 rating strengthen my decision to read this book. Reading the first ten pages did not disappoint me. The book is fast-paced, and well-written without any error in the first ten pages. I don't have any improvement suggestion for this book.
Anywhere from a month to a few days before their time is up, this newly invented watch will give a - "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher narrates the consequences of using this device that can predict the final days of a human's life. Given the knowlege of when and how you will die, will you choose goodness over revenge?

#Action #Thriller #Suspense #Crime

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 7:27 pm by Dolor.

ayoomisope

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a fiction novel. I would have chosen to read the book without reading the sample first because the book's title and customer reviews' are intriguing. Furthermore, the cover is beautifully illustrated. The sample I read increased my interest in the book. I love the plot and the proper exploration of the characters. The book seems professionally edited. However, paragraph one, line 6-8 of the prologue has a sentence with a wrong grammatical structure. Finally, the book has an official OnlineBookClub review which is outstanding.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 7:53 pm by ayoomisope.

Kathryn Price

The sample of this book was really good. Other than the fact that the two beginning sections were quite different from each other, and the story itself seems to mention quite a lot of real products as if sponsoring them, I think that this book started off really well and has a great hook. I want to point out that though the two sections were different, I could tell how they were connected - it didn't seem like it was random. There were no editing errors that I found. I cannot buy the book today, but I wish I could. This seems like a book I would really enjoy.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 9:41 pm by Kathryn Price.

N_R

This is the book of the month for March and I have elected to write an official review of this book. Therefore, I have purchased the book and I do intend to read it. The blurb written for this book is what attracted me to this where there is the idea that the time of a person's death can be predicted. I think that this underlying idea is what attracted me to the novel as it is interesting to ponder. After reading a number of religious books, I think that this will be a good balance to review. The book definitely seems like it is professionally edited and I have not seen any errors to date. What I like most about the initial pages is the slow build-up of suspense as the storyline is expanded. Although I do also like books which have an intense start and wind down, I do like books that are slower to start and build the mood and tone. The reviews I have read for this book are very positive and there are not many issues noted in what I have read. I am looking forward to adding to the positive reviews for this novel.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2018, at 11:58 pm by N_R.

ladycraic

I would not have chosen to sample Final Notice apart from First Ten as the cover doesn't appeal to me. For me, the gun implies a thrilling, action-filled book and that's not the kind of read I'm looking for right now. The blurb had a nice mix of intrigue and information. I was more open to reading Final Notice after seeing how unique and interesting the plot was. I thought the first few pages went smoothly and my interest was captured as soon as I began reading. The only drawback I experienced was the swearing. Overall, I think the plot of Final Notice is definitely unique and intriguing, but I'm not interested in the political aspect of the story. While I will not be reading now, due to my current lack of interest in getting into the political debate of gun control, I can see myself reading this novel in the future. This book seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2018, at 12:16 am by ladycraic.

Bluecobia

From the cover and title I thought the book would be about a crime and getting revenge. From the reviews I find it is about what do you do if you know you will die soon. I like this ad a premise for a story. That might make me read further even if I were not part of this program. Reading the first ten pages I got the impression the book was more a political statement against gun ownership. This messed up my desire to read the science fiction part about predicting the time of someone's death. This strong political position early on made me not want to read the rest of this book. The editing looked professional and I didn't notice any editorial errors in the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2018, at 1:10 am by Bluecobia.

Rosemary Wright

This book's cover is attractive, and I like the genre.These could have also made me read it. The OBC review of the story raised my interest in it, and I'll buy it soon. From the premise, I saw that the book is intriguing and will be very entertaining. Furthermore, the few details I got about some of the characters show that the characters will be interesting and captivating.

Finally, the book seems professionally edited, but I found one grammatical error in paragraph one at location 262 of the kindle format. For example, "It was late afternoon and there were a fair number of people out and enjoying the day." instead of "It was late afternoon, and there were a fair number of people out and enjoying the day."

First Ten review added on March 2, 2018, at 9:02 am by Rosemary Wright.

ashley_claire

Though I've been interested in this book for a while because I knew it was going to be the book of the month, I've yet to take the plunge to read it because of its political thriller genre. That's just generally not my thing so I've kept pushing this book aside. I think the cover is fine and I like the color scheme. After reading the OBC review I realize that this book raises a lot of interesting discussion elements and I can see why this book was chosen as a Book of the Month. The first ten pages seemed to be professionally edited and well-written. I like that the conversational topics jump off right from the beginning with pushing to arm senior citizens. I can see how this would be a controversial book for people who may not agree with the viewpoints of this author, but I feel like he gives ample warning and lays out his feelings from the very beginning. I'm interested in talking with others about this book in the Book of the Month discussions so I will be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2018, at 11:16 am by ashley_claire.

Vickie Noel

I may not have bothered to read this book without the program; I don't feel particularly attracted to it despite its very interesting premise. I found the sample natural and easy to understand. The writing style was clear and uncomplicated. It seems to be professionally edited; there were no errors, neither do I think any aspect needs improvement. I saw an OBC review and it very well piqued my interest. However, I can't seem to fully make up my mind whether or not I'd be completing the story. I'm not so big on gun ownership and I may likely be too biased to actually enjoy the book. But I am sort of curious as to the various ways people handle their impending "death sentence." Perhaps I'll be able to find out, if I can clear up my TBR list. Till then, I won't be finishing the book.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2018, at 4:39 pm by Vickie Noel.

Momiji1987

The author’s characters and writing style are relatable and interesting to read. I like that the dog is named Miles because that’s the name of my dog. I thought Hannity sounded more like Bret Baier though; kind of stiff and daytimey. Sean has more exasperation, enthusiasm, and emotion when he speaks, so much so he occasionally interrupts his guests because he wants to emphasize a point. The Blitzer impersonation was great, down to the excessive talk about Trump and Russia. I like the premise and found it interesting to contemplate. I’m kind of curious to read the rest, and that’s saying something because I don’t exactly agree with the author’s politics. I like his writing and didn’t notice any errors. Some of the sentences were a little awkward though, for example descriptions of what Trudy was doing before she spoke seemed like incomplete sentences and brackets around actions seemed too much like a script. I probably wouldn’t have looked at this book outside of the program, but the official review was positive and inspired my curiosity.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2018, at 7:19 pm by Momiji1987.

kemp1kor

I don't think I would have bothered reading or even sampling this book if it were not book of the day. There's nothing wrong with the book cover, and it has some good reviews, but the thriller and political elements aren't my thing. I was especially unhappy that, in the summary, it seemed like a lot of the violence was blamed on guns. I'm not saying everyone should be able to acquire a gun, but guns are not the reason violence happens and I would have a difficult time reading a book that implies otherwise.

The first ten pages didn't introduce a lot of characters, but they were well-written and didn't include any grammatical errors that I noticed. The characters we did meet seemed like a fairly normal older couple, with the man caught up in considering his own mortality. Other than the old man's thoughts about being knocked over and his helplessness during the incident, nothing very exciting happened in my opinion. The Official OnlineBookClub review was informative and I was impressed that the reviewer mentioned the issue of gun ownership and that people in favor should possibly steer clear of this novel.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2018, at 11:06 pm by kemp1kor.

SPasciuti

I was really excited to read this book long before it was the book of the day. The cover is decent and the premise, while not entirely original, has its own unique pieces that make the story deeply appealing as a read.

I’ve begun this book recently and I am happy to report that I will be finishing it. It is professionally edited and well written. The prologue was fantastic. The one thing jus far that I would improve, as it has been distracting, is to not use as many ellipses throughout the book. I find it kind of unnecessary and feel that it does take away from the writing somewhat.

First Ten review added on March 3, 2018, at 2:59 am by SPasciuti.

desantismt_17

I remember reading about this book when it was BOTM not long ago. The premise interested me then, and it still does. Before sampling, I thought about reading. After sampling, I’ll give this a try. The author hooks me with all the things that are unsaid but hinted at. This combined with Vince being covered in dirt at the very beginning setup for what seems like it will be an eye-opening read. The book appears professionally edited. I noticed only one misplaced comma. I have no improvements to suggest at this time. I did not see an OnlineBookClub.org review, but I’m still interested in reading.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2018, at 1:27 pm by desantismt_17.

Kendra M Parker

This had been the book of the month a while ago, and I considered reading this for that reason, but I have not done so yet. My book list is simply too long as it is that I haven’t gotten to it. The blurb certainly catches my attention and gets me interested in reading the book. Reading the first ten pages, I found them interesting and cleanly edited. It was enjoyable, but I’m not quite sure that it has captured my attention to the point where I know for certain I will be reading this book. I think at this point I will have to say that my list is just too long, and this hasn’t quite usurped anything on it to make me want to buy this book today. The fact that it is a Kindle Ultimate book does bring this higher into the possibility realm, but I think I’m going to pass for now.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2018, at 2:16 pm by Kendra M Parker.

KristyKhem

I would not normally select this book because I don’t like crime thrillers and I guessed that this is what it entailed since there’s a gun on the cover and murder was suggested in the blurb. After I read the sample, I deduced that this book was not for me. The characters were seniors and I detest reading about older folk in a modern setting. I prefer to read about relatable characters in the teen to middle-aged category. There was a slight edge to Vince, the old man, because his initial actions of sneakily changing his soiled clothes were suspicious. This intrigued me a little, but I was disappointed when the majority of the sample was focused on him and his wife watching the news, and commenting on their views on gun violence. This was so boring and mundane. There were no errors that I picked up on and I think the book was edited well.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2018, at 2:21 pm by KristyKhem.

ViziVoir

I remember this book from when it was the Book of the Month in March, and I did actually sample it back then due to how much attention surrounded it. I didn't choose to read this book mostly because I prefer not to read about current social issues, as I read for escapism. I also noticed some missing commas, such as before the phrase "although he had done nothing wrong" or after "Folk music was a passion of Trudi's", and I can see this becoming very distracting while reading. I'm also confused about why the word "Mall" was capitalized in the middle of a sentence. I liked how distinct Vince's character is, and I think the portrayal of his struggles as an elderly person was solid, as well. However, I won't be reading this book in its entirety due to the odd grammatical choices and subject matter.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2018, at 4:14 pm by ViziVoir.

SamSim

Prior to reading the first 10 pages, I was already very interested in reading this book. The cover captivated me first and gave me the impression that it was a suspenseful thriller. The premise outlined in the blurb on the Amazon page further intrigued me, as it really feels like a very not-so-far-fetched story that would set the stage for exploring human nature in a thought-provoking way. My impression was bolstered by the many positive customer reviews that included phrases like "thought-provoking," "page-turner," "engaging," etc. I have already read a few Online Book Club reviews for this novel and have been debating whether or not to buy it for a couple of months. After reading the sample, I am not interested in reading this book. I like Trudi and Vince (and Miles!). I like the premise of the book and the basic plot points included in the portion that I read, but that's about it. I feel like none of the characters introduced have very strong feelings. I didn't really feel the love between Trudi and Vince. Why didn't the son of the nursing home gunman have stronger feelings, like grief, for example? Chapter four really dragged because it was a series of character introductions, first Vijay, then Konig, then Jennifer. Most of the sample was "tell" and very little "show," which got boring. I found many errors, mostly with punctuation, that I found mildly annoying because of the quantity. There were several hyphenated words with strange spaces in them, such as "14 -year-old," "pulse- rate," and front- page." There were unnecessary commas, i.e. "A million, armed seniors?" Some words were rendered as possessive that should not have been (Windows', sixties'). Some words that should have been hyphenated were not, like "problem solver." A magazine title was not italicized. This is not a comprehensive list. The sagging portions of character information or backstory, the distracting errors, and the robotic characters ultimately just made it easy for me to decide not to read this novel.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2018, at 4:50 pm by SamSim.

bb587

While it's a thought provoking concept, I'm not especially interested in reading this book. My husband and I own guns, but I don't enjoy the gun debate. Seeing a gun on the cover like this immediately made me hesitate. Knowing you only have a week to live caught my interest, though. After reading the beginning, I'm even less interested. I didn't find any mistakes, but the conversations didn't seem real. I really didn't like that the man had been married to the woman for so long but didn't feel comfortable telling her what happened to him. Getting knocked down was a big deal to him, and he should have been able to confide in his long term partner.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2018, at 5:21 pm by bb587.

cpru68

The artwork and the title are eye-catching for this one. I didn't understand the watch at first, but after reading the sample pages, I now understand that it is technology so that the wearer knows when he or she will die. If that's not enough tension, throw in the rise of physical violence against seniors and the push for them to carry guns. Vince Fuller seems like a real 70 year old man who is struggling with the fact that he is aging and after being shoved at the mall by a young thug, he is considering arming himself for protection. I found the incident of Stan Mason's dad shooting up the retirement home quite alarming, and his discovery of all that his father had been up to behind his back in regard to guns and ammunition.

Everything that the author wrote about are hot button topics. Guns, aging and a look at the demise of our humanity that treats others as 'less than.' The book also was good at showing how news channels get their ratings as people sit and absorb what they think is the truth. And, all the while, we see fear rise in the name of 'news.'

The author did a good job drawing on my emotions as I was reading all of this. I felt bad for Vince after he was attacked in public and found himself feeling unsafe and embarrassed. So much so that he is keeping his wife Trudi in the dark about what he is considering doing.

While I found the subject matter interesting, I did also find some glaring errors. For example, the word 'home' was capitalized every time it was used. In addition, I felt it was overused. It would be better to come up with a new word to describe a retirement community. Along with this, as Vince was thinking back on his attack, the word 'mall' was capitalized. It needs to be lowercase. There were also some issues with comma placement. In the following dialogue, I put commas where they are are needed: "'Hey, I have been watching Angeline Jolie, and I think I can manage the moves.'" In this sentence, I took out commas because they were not necessary: "'...Let's go watch the news and see what my bearded buddy Blitzer has for us.'" I believe a thorough proof reading for proper comma placement and capitalization is in order because I did find many more just in the sample which was somewhat distracting for me and took me out of the story. At this time due to other book commitments, I am passing on this one. But, the storyline seems quite compelling and well thought out.

First Ten review added on June 2, 2018, at 5:37 pm by cpru68.

cristinaro

If it had not been for the first ten program, I would probably not have read Van Fleisher's novel. The cover is not necessarily spectacular. However, once you connect the title with the Amazon blurb description, you realize they all fit together. I like the premise of the novel and the interesting combination between realism and sci-fi elements. The editorial reviews are raving about the author's dark humor as well as the satire and suspense of the book. With almost 90% of the customer reviews giving it 4 or 5 stars, the book seems like a page-turner. The prologue is short, but the idea that the book follows people's reactions when they know how much more they have to live is challenging enough to make readers start the first chapter. I think the author does a good job in describing Vince and Trudy and in introducing the topic of gun ownership as well as its impact on people's lives. I loved the fact that the book touches the issue of senior citizens and the difficulty of dealing with the old age vulnerability. There is contrast between Vince and Trudy's peaceful domestic atmosphere and the violence of the news or of the incident at the Senior Citizen Home. My curiosity was triggered with respect to the reasons prompting 89-year-old John Mason to shoot 12 people. I also like that Van Fleisher can swiftly move from one character to another and still make them credible. I could not find any typos or grammar mistakes in the sample. Former BOTM, Final Notice has sparked many discussions and controversies and is definitely worth reading.

First Ten review added on June 3, 2018, at 3:09 am by cristinaro.

meadhbh

Based on the OnlineBookClub review, this seemed like the kind of book I would be interested in, as it uses science-fiction to discuss a social issue. While the first ten pages did not go into any detail on how the 'final notice' concept worked, I liked the fact that the themes of gun control and immigration had already been alluded to, setting the scene for the rest of the book. In general, it was very well-edited, although for some reason there were two line breaks after every paragraph which was slightly off-putting. The characters that were mentioned were well-written and interesting, so this is definitely a book I would like to read. By mentioning the shooting that occurs at a retirement home, the author manages to draw your interest, and makes you want to keep reading to find out why this has happened.

First Ten review added on June 3, 2018, at 7:27 am by meadhbh.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I usually read romance books. While the title made me curious about the plot of the book, I did not like the cover.The blue and white background did not catch my attention. Further, the image of a person holding a gun did not tell me much about the content of the book. Having read the sample, I liked how the author began the book with positive reviews. It gave me a good impression of the book. Further, I found the characters (Trudi and Vince) relatable. However, I found the language used a little complex. The sample was not easy to read and understand. The book seems professionally edited. Since I do not read this genre usually, I do not think I will read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on June 4, 2018, at 12:20 am by AA1495.

Total ~ 37%

Final Notice earned a score of 37%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 37% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for Final Notice