Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on April 17, 2015, at 5:38 pm by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781501088605

Miami Iced

by Susan Sussman

The First Ten

Because Miami Iced was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

This is just my type of book! I love good mysteries and this one seems to fit the bill. The cover is a bit misleading, but the blurb is on the spot. The sample is well written and I was instantly drawn into the world of the heroine. It is written in the present tense, not my preferable tense, but it is so well written that I don't mind. The description of the widow's grief was finely drawn as were the other scenes. I liked the way her sister managed to get her out of her apartment. I loved the sample and will definitely read this book!

First Ten review added on July 31, 2016, at 10:15 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Rachaelamb1

From the cover, I thought this would be a sci-fi novel, but the description is very clear that it is not. I can't say the description particularly grabbed my attention, but I was interested once I read the OBC official review. The first ten pages were better than I expected and I admit that I had to read a little further than that before I could pry myself away. I was hooked from the very first sentence and am thoroughly intrigued to find out what happens next. The book also appears to be edited well.

First Ten review added on July 31, 2016, at 10:40 am by Rachaelamb1.

L_Therese

As I read the description of this book's plot, it didn't seem like it matched the cover of the book. The cover looks pretty sci-fi, though the plot sounds more like a legal thriller. The plot description intrigued me from the beginning, but the mismatch gave me pause, since it may be an indication of a cheap marketing ploy. After reading ten pages, I found the writing style to be unique. It began with a very abrupt style and morphed into a smoother sarcasm. Ten pages has not be sufficient to give clear indication of the quality of the plot or character development, but the attention to detail that is evident in the writing itself is enough to keep me interested. For the words and the ways they are put together, I will continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on July 31, 2016, at 11:25 am by L_Therese.

CataclysmicKnight

I really expected some wild sci-fi here from the cover, but was surprised at how relatable (and not sci-fi) the book is so far. The writing style is wonderful, however, and I'm intrigued to see where things are going, so I can definitely see finishing the book. Not only that, I'm now intrigued about the rest of the books Susan Sussman has written!

First Ten review added on July 31, 2016, at 2:03 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Vermont Reviews

I love the cover. I enjoyed the preview so much. I am looking forward to finishing the balance of the story. I do like the characters and the author's style. It appears that the book was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 31, 2016, at 2:30 pm by Vermont Reviews.

anneloretrujillo

After reading the review of this book, I wanted to read it. I still want to after the first ten pages. I really liked the way the author uses short, choppy sentences to mimic the main character's feelings. It is a really nice use of style. I didn't notice in grammar errors, so it seems like the book was professionally edited. I also couldn't find anything that I would improve. This book has definitely piqued my interest!

First Ten review added on July 31, 2016, at 3:34 pm by anneloretrujillo.

hsimone

Had it not been for this program, I most likely would not have picked up this book. The cover is beautiful, though the title is confusing. The genre is one that I sometimes enjoy, but the blurb didn't peak my interest. The reviews are spectular though. Because of my conflicting opinions prior to sampling this book, I would have steered clear from this book.

However, after reading the sample, I am absolutely giving this well-written read a try! My favorite part of the bit that I read is how Bitsy, the main character's sister, not only comes to help, but is blunt and honest with her sister. I also like the author's writing style. Something about the way Sussman writes has pulled me in. At this point, I don't see any need for improvement!

First Ten review added on July 31, 2016, at 4:06 pm by hsimone.

Gravy

This seems to be a fun and funny tale. I'm kind of liking the cover.
Mystery isn't my genre, but I found this very entertaining.

I found no problems, and a lot of humor (which is a big plus).
I doubt I would have looked at this without the first ten.

First Ten review added on August 1, 2016, at 2:55 am by Gravy.

Momlovesbooks

I read the review about this book, previously; and thought it sounded interesting. I read the first few pages and was quickly drawn in. The writing is precise and detailed. I felt sympathy towards the main character and began to get curious about the other ones being introduced. I'll be reading the rest of this book to see what the future holds for them.

First Ten review added on August 1, 2016, at 2:54 pm by Momlovesbooks.

truebookaddict

The description of this book reminded me of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series...not my usual cup of tea. However, after reading the glowing OBC review, I thought I would give it a shot, even before I read the first ten pages.

Yes, I will read the whole book. As I said, the OBC review convinced me to read it, and after reading the first ten pages, so far so good.

The book is well-edited. No typos or grammatical errors noticed.

As the OBC reviewer said, the book is wonderfully written, and very witty. I liked the short chapters too. The only improvement I could suggest would be a different cover. The woman in the book has a twenty-something year old daughter which puts her at least in her late thirties/early forties, if not older. She would definitely look older than the woman on the cover. Plus, the cover looks almost Sci-Fi. Very misleading.

First Ten review added on August 1, 2016, at 4:33 pm by truebookaddict.

Shelle

Based on the cover and blurb, I likely wouldn't have selected this book, so I'm glad I had the opportunity to sample it. I like the author's writing style and the tone of the story, but it felt very disjointed and hard to get caught up in. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on August 1, 2016, at 4:51 pm by Shelle.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Judyk

Based on the cover and title I may not have chosen to sample this book without the first ten program. The book does appear to be professionally edited and well written. I enjoyed the character development and the storyline thus far. I will likely read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on August 1, 2016, at 10:59 pm by Judyk.

Total ~ 92%

This book earned a score of 92%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 92% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Miami Iced in their shelves?

25 members have Miami Iced in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

gali

Want To Read Shelf

Deee

Want To Read Shelf

bookowlie

4-Star Shelf

originaloflaura

Currently Reading Shelf

crazilydramatic

Want To Read Shelf

bluemel4

Want To Read Shelf