Official Review: The Barbed Wire Rose

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Rosemary Wright
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Perspective Is Reality by Orlando Morel

Official Review: The Barbed Wire Rose

Post by Rosemary Wright » 26 Feb 2019, 07:31

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Barbed Wire Rose" by Rosanna Štrbík Porter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Barbed Wire Rose, by Rosanna Štrbík Porter, is about Anna and her family. Anna is a writer from East Germany. In a nutshell, the book unveils the happy and unhappy times Anna's family experienced while she was a young girl. It comprises Oma's journal (Oma is Anna's maternal grandmother). The journal shows how Oma's father was taken away by Russian soldiers. Later on, at age thirteen, she and her mother were conscripted to work in a coal mine. One day, Oma collapsed and was taken to the hospital. Thereafter, she was conveyed to the home of the rich coal mine owner to work as one of the household servants.

Furthermore, the book includes how Peter, Anna's elder brother, was conscripted into the military. It unveils how Peter and his friend, Michael, planned to escape by climbing over the Wall at the border between East and West Berlin. Afterwards, Michael changed his mind, and Peter got into trouble while trying to cross the Berlin Wall.

The Barbed Wire Rose has intriguing storylines. It's well written and easy to read. What l like most about it is the flow; it flows smoothly. Exploring the themes of true friendship, family love, and family unity, it's an engaging read, especially for young adults. Though it's categorized as historical fiction, it reads more like a coming-of-age story to me. The narration and conversations are kind of sophomoric, and some mature adults may not enjoy reading it because of this element. Also, frequently, the author utilized some common German words, such as "Ja" and "Danke", which means " yes" and "thank you" in English respectively.

The novel is based on some actual events, such as the Pan-European Picnic in 1989, the massive deportation of Danube Swabian women in 1944 into slave labor camps in Russia, and the abduction of more than 20,000 Danube Swabian children, who were placed in state-run children's homes.

Whereas the characters are likable, I couldn't relate to any one of them. The author did not describe the characters in depth. He should have provided more background, physical, and personality details.

Overall, I rate this narrative 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because it's readable, and it contains a touching story. In addition, It was professionally edited; I saw just a few grammar errors, particularly missing commas. I couldn't rate it higher because it reads more like a coming-of-age fiction than the specified genre. Readers who like books based on true stories will enjoy reading it.

The Barbed Wire Rose
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 04 Mar 2019, 08:46

This review was insightful. It sounds like a book that may be perfect for a day of lazy, easy reading. I look forward to enjoying this book myself. Thank you for your valuable perspective.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Mar 2019, 10:01

Relating to the characters is a must in a novel, for me. For that reason, I'll probably skip this, though it sounds intriguing in all other aspects. I do love that Anna is a writer. Thanks for the information.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

HRichards
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Obama's Odyssey by Connie Corcoran Wilson

Post by HRichards » 06 Mar 2019, 10:26

Seems like an interesting read. I might pick it up if I have free time. Thanks for the review.

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Watch Her Shine by Deborah Henry

Post by gen_g » 06 Mar 2019, 10:52

It seems like a shallow book, but I'm rather interested in the actual historical events, so I might give this a try regardless. Thanks for the review!

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 06 Mar 2019, 15:35

Te lot isn't one i'm interested in, so I'll pass. Great review, though!

Return to “Historical Fiction”