Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Christineegm
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Christineegm » 31 Aug 2018, 20:42

I try to make it a point to read the book first! Usually if it was recently adapted I will read the book first. However for older films and classics I do not follow this rule lol.

Amyb77
Favorite Book: Meditations to the other side
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Amyb77 » 02 Sep 2018, 20:17

I like to read the book first, then see how many details they leave out in the movie.

Vscholz
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 786
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz » 05 Sep 2018, 01:26

I usually watch the movie first so that I can enjoy it without nitpicking. However, there are some cases where I will read the book first, but that is usually before the movie is even announced.

Vefu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vefu » 08 Sep 2018, 14:13

Definitely, the first should be a book. Once I watched the movie "The Game of the Ender", I liked the film very much, I was crazy about it. But then I learned that the film was to be taken down by the motives of the book, and was very upset as a film after reading this book. The same story with the series "The Magicians" and especially saddened the story with the series "The Game of Thrones", in particular in the "love" scenes, because it would be very much like that they would be recreated more accurately and taken to shooting actors hotter as

Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Shalomsamuels1 » 15 Sep 2018, 19:30

An age old question and important. The answer is simple: the book. Why you may ask? Because a book is almost always going to be more detailed then a movie in regards to story and character development. the one thing a book has issue with is it can sometimes lack feeling. Movies help with that because they create an atmosphere with visuals and soundtrack.
But with a movie you wouldnt get the full breadth of the story and characters. So the atmosphere is lost on you.

aimy869
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aimy869 » 15 Sep 2018, 23:32

book first because you will feel what the author was feeling when he or she wrote the book,and the book will be complete on like the movie that some scenes are cut

J_D_Allen
Currently Reading: The Brotherhood of Merlin, Book Two
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by J_D_Allen » Today, 01:32

I find it easier to read the book first then watch the movie then both will tell the same story which is very exciting especially if it's a really done story.

Harley-Panda
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Harley-Panda » Today, 05:15

I always read the book first. There have been many times where I've put off watching a movie in the cinema so that I can read the book first! I like to make comparisons (generally I find the books are better than the films but there are always exceptions)
I go to seek a Great Perhaps

Return to “Films and Books”