Official Review: The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ZenaLei7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Three Friends.. The Perfect Stereotype by Anthony S

Official Review: The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named...

Post by ZenaLei7 » 11 Jan 2019, 20:17

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named Fred" by T. K. Suits.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named Fred is a children’s illustrated book written by T.K. Suits and illustrated by H.P. Suits. Even though Fred is rock, he somehow manages to find a way to go on an adventure that takes him far away from home.

It’s Fred's one-millionth birthday and he feels anything but happy. He might be a rare and very sparkly rock, but he is feeling unimportant until a letter arrives in the mail. In the letter, it says that a rock collector will come by and collect Fred to add to his rock collection. Fred is very excited until a bird poops on his head. After singing the rain song, Fred patiently waits for the rain to wash away the poop. However, the rain seems to not only wash away the poop, but it also washes Fred away from his mossy bed. As Fred falls into the river and rushes away from his home, will he find a way to go back home or will he be lost forever?

Filled with bright and colorful illustration, I found this book to be interesting and engaging for younger readers. The illustrations accompany the text well and most of the illustrations are hand drawn which adds character to the story. Moreover, the addition of the lyrics of the songs the Fred sings makes it a unique way for readers to sing along to.

Only about 50 pages long, this book makes a great addition to any child’s bookcase. Despite the fact that Fred is a rock, I found his character to be bright and cheerful. He always tries to look at the brighter side of things and his determination is one of his noticeable traits. Furthermore, the storyline is simple and easy to follow with hints of foreshadowing included in the texts and illustrations.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading the story and looking at the colorful illustrations. Moreover, this book was well edited as I did not spot any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. I would recommend this book to children from ages 6-10 who like to read about action and adventure.

The Surprising Adventure of a Rock Named Fred
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Bienn
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bienn.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by Bienn » 13 Jan 2019, 21:34

Nice book, I love the cover photo. It really sounds funny and enjoyable. Thanks for your review, I've learned something new.
Remember :hand: to take a bath :liar: first before reading anything! :no-spoil: :? :lol:

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 14 Jan 2019, 03:00

This book really seems like a very enjoyable book for kids. I like the idea of a rock being the main character in this book. I'm definitely adding this to my TBR list; my niece and nephews will enjoy itm thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by nonamer_miss » 14 Jan 2019, 06:20

I like the book cover! I feel like I would enjoy this story too.

Breehayes
Currently Reading: Just A Friend
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Breehayes » 14 Jan 2019, 07:31

The storyline seems very captivating, definitely a must read for me.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Memory Walker by Carly Marino

Post by kandscreeley » 14 Jan 2019, 09:36

I could see this sparking the pet rock craze again. What child wouldn't want a pet rock after reading about Fred and his adventures? It could be a good after-reading activity. Great review of a cute book. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: A Light in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Hologram Deception by Ed Sheehan

Post by kdstrack » 14 Jan 2019, 21:51

This sounds like an appealing story for children. The idea of a rock that is a million years old would motivate kids. What would you give someone for their millionth birthday? Fred seems like a lovely character. Everything you say about this book sounds creative and appealing. I feel like a kid that needs to read this story!

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jessacardinal » 15 Jan 2019, 15:01

One million birthdays! Can you imagine?! The complications sound quite humorous.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

lalakaren51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalakaren51.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by lalakaren51 » Yesterday, 00:14

This looks like a book I would love to read with my grandson! The cover is cheerful and attractive. The plot sounds like a story that would keep the interest of a youngster!

Return to “Children's Books”