Review by Vscholz -- First Family by Alice Langholt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Vscholz
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 811
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Vscholz -- First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Vscholz » 06 Jan 2019, 22:33

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Family" by Alice Langholt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the beginning, God created the world. He made the animals, the plants, and Adam, the first man. Knowing that Adam is lonely, God creates a partner for him named Eve. After Eve listens to the snake and eats the forbidden fruit, they are both are expelled from the Garden. They must learn to provide for themselves, and eventually, they create two additional lives. Their children, Cain and Abel, share characteristics with their parents, but the story ultimately ends in tragedy.

The First Family by Alice Langholt is not necessarily a religious book, but it does find inspiration in the Bible. Langholt attempts to fill in the blanks on the missing pieces of the stories of Adam and Eve and of Cain and Abel. She creates personalities for each of the characters, allowing different voices to describe each scene. Most of the scenes are from the viewpoints of Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel, but God has several sections as well. The snake even gives his point of view early in the book.

Even though I do identify as a Christian, I am not actively practicing, and my beliefs are quite liberal. I find the idea of religion fascinating, especially from a literary viewpoint. However, this review is not about religion but rather about the novel. I had my eye on this book for some time, but I wanted to wait until the beginning of the year to read it. I am thankful that I am starting my year with such a positive experience.

My favorite part of Langholt's novel is the parallel between God and humans. God creates Adam and Eve, and they later create Cain and Abel. The characterizations of each player in this book are different from anything I have ever read. Eve questions God's motives and sometimes even existence because He never talks to her, but Adam has no doubts, perhaps because of his constant conversations with God. Cain is similar to his mother, questioning why God should be given thanks when it is Cain who has done the work. Abel is more like his father and has full faith in God. Unfortunately, these differences tear the family apart.

I struggled to find any negatives to this novel, so I decided to discuss the characters I didn't like. In most forms of entertainment, there are characters that are liked less than others—not because they are poorly written, but because they do not vibe with our own personalities. For me, these characters are Adam and Abel. I do not dislike these characters entirely, but if knew them in person and I had a choice of whether or not to include them in my daily life, I would probably decline and prefer them as acquaintances rather than friends. As an intellectual, I identify with Eve and Cain (who is not portrayed as evil or a villain) because of their questioning nature. However, there are dangers to curiosity.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There are times where commas should be used but aren't (usually before the word “too”), which takes away from the score. I found the characters to be believable and relatable. I would recommend this book to Christians and non-Christians alike with the caveat that it is merely a story and is not intended to be gospel. It gives different views of Biblical events, but those unfamiliar with the Christian Bible may still enjoy the story itself. I would love to read more of Langholdt's writing, especially if she continues with Bible stories as the foundation.

First Family
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vscholz's review? Post a comment saying so!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 597
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Laura Bach » 14 Jan 2019, 04:22

I don't identify as Christian, but I have to say that the story seems interesting. I can appreciate the story as pure fiction, so I would like to read a book that analyses the characters of Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel. Very nice review!

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Rowan Wood Legends
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Kelyn » 14 Jan 2019, 10:37

Although this book sounds too close to "religious" for me to want to consider reading, I do like the fact that they writer gave each character (including God which I would probably find funny, sorry) their own voice. Thanks for the review but I'll pass on this one.
Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story...Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. (E. Cline - Ready Player One)

Vscholz

Post by Vscholz » 14 Jan 2019, 12:38

Laura Bach wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 04:22
I don't identify as Christian, but I have to say that the story seems interesting. I can appreciate the story as pure fiction, so I would like to read a book that analyses the characters of Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel. Very nice review!
Thank you! I look at it as pure fiction and a form of entertainment, so I think you might enjoy it.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Vscholz

Post by Vscholz » 14 Jan 2019, 12:41

Kelyn wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 10:37
Although this book sounds too close to "religious" for me to want to consider reading, I do like the fact that they writer gave each character (including God which I would probably find funny, sorry) their own voice. Thanks for the review but I'll pass on this one.
I didn't find this book to be too "religious" or "preachy." If you look at it as simply a story without any other influence on it, it is quite good. I keep a list of "to be recommended to others" so this might be one for yours. Thanks for stopping by!

T_stone
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 14 Jan 2019, 18:19

I'm a Christian and I strongly agree with you; this book can be enjoyed as a fictional book. However, there are many misconceptions about the number of kids Adam and Eve gave birth to. I'd like to know of the author touched that aspect in her book. Thanks for the interesting review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Vscholz

Post by Vscholz » 14 Jan 2019, 18:27

T_stone wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 18:19
I'm a Christian and I strongly agree with you; this book can be enjoyed as a fictional book. However, there are many misconceptions about the number of kids Adam and Eve gave birth to. I'd like to know of the author touched that aspect in her book. Thanks for the interesting review.
I can't give you that info without spoiling it! I will say that is is very briefly touched upon. Thanks for commenting!

Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shrabastee » Yesterday, 06:47

Wonderful review! I have also read and reviewed this one, so I wholeheartedly agree with you that the author fills the gaps in the Biblical story in an amazing way. I liked the different perspectives, each one had a voice of his own, distinct from others. The parallelism you mentioned is something I also noted. All in all, it was a very enlightening experience even for me, an atheist. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”