Review by Anna Maria 86 -- White Night by J.J. Holt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Review by Anna Maria 86 -- White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Anna Maria 86 » 06 Jan 2019, 00:37

[Following is a volunteer review of "White Night" by J.J. Holt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

White Night by J.J. Holt is an exciting crime novel telling the story of a young detective whose current case is being affected by injuries obtained on duty. Jennifer Connors is a New York cop investigating a homicide. Her leads reveal another victim, a suspicious dirty cop involvement and a mysterious event dubbed as "white night". Having just returned from her rehabilitation and being assigned a new, rather difficult partner, she never stops to care about her work, even if it affects her personal relationships. Will she be able to resolve this crime? Can she prevent a life-threatening disaster from occurring? What dark secret is her new partner keeping from her? All these and more questions are being answered on the pages of this exuberating novel.

Detective Connors' investigation has you flipping page after page, wanting more and more. The books’ fast-paced action and just the right dose of mystery make it a cloak-and-dagger page-turner. J.J. Holt never reveals too much, as for the reader to lose interest, but just enough to make you want to keep reading, even if it's already 1 a.m. and you know your baby will be screaming for her bottle in about 5 hours. The writing is lively, beautifully formulated and just seems effortless. We witness the protagonist change and mature, both professionally and personally. Other characters are also very well portrayed, so that the reader doesn't see them as drawn on a flat piece of paper, but in full HD 3D origami format, with reasons behind their actions, personality development and moral dilemmas.

One of the aspects that I really liked is the way the New York police force is presented. We have a chance to accompany the characters through every aspect of the police work with all the shades of grey possible between what is right and what is necessary. Their struggles and pains are very well described, making it easier to identify with them as individuals, instead of treating them as some kind of super humans who don't feel emotions or experience internal troubles and doubts. Also, there is just enough jargon to make the book credible, but not too much as to overwhelm the reader.

I rate White Night 4 out of 4 stars, due to its fascinating story, deep characters and amazing writing style. As far as my opinion is concerned, it simply deserves more than 3 out of 4, because of the aforementioned qualities, as well as almost impeccable editing. Honestly, I can’t pinpoint anything that made me dislike the book.

I'd recommend White Night by J.J. Holt to anyone who likes real characters, exciting action and just the right amount of mystery. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend it to readers sensible to imagery such as crime, blood, shootings or fights. In my humble opinion, the book is absolutely worth reading! I am definitely looking forward to putting my hands on J.J. Holt's The Black.

White Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Anna Maria 86's review? Post a comment saying so!

LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 85
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Of Snow by Rhón

Post by LivreAmour217 » 14 Jan 2019, 13:37

This sounds like a great story! The books that compel you to stay up late are always the best! Thank you for this excellent review.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Latest Review: Of Snow by Rhón

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”