Review by Sarah G -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Sarah G
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Review by Sarah G -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Sarah G » 26 Nov 2018, 10:30

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“I’ve learnt awareness creates time”.

Timewise by Robert Leet follows Ron Larson, an orphan with an affinity for mathematics. However, his potential is not unlocked until he meets the mysterious Professor Regina Russo who introduces him to the mystical world of quantum physics. However, all is not as it seems as there is more to the Professor than she is letting on, with dark rumours linked to her past, can Ron trust his mentor or is she leading him down the wrong path?

The premise of this book really interested me however after I started reading I found the story was really flat and was more of an afterthought compared to the intricate descriptions and explanations of the scientific theories. At times it felt more like a textbook masquerading as a story. Although the book was written in the first person I was not able to feel any connection to the character. There wasn’t really much of a character arc to follow. It even covered him starting a relationship with someone in a mere single sentence and the same with the break up leading it to feel more like a cold observation. Due to this, I found myself uninterested in the character plot.

Another issue I found with the book is that a lot of the science is way too advanced for the average reader. Some theories are explained in a really nice ‘outside of the box’ way and have helped me understand more physics than I knew at the beginning, however, it will then jump to an advanced theory on the back of that and I found myself getting lost and having to re-read sections to try and gain some clarity. Covering topics like quantum entanglement, string theory and reverse entanglement swapping is a bit too much in one book in such a short space of time.

The book has been professionally edited with no punctual or spelling errors, however, there are a couple of formatting issues with a couple of pictures towards the middle of the book but I didn’t draw me away from the story.

Overall I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Considering this is a story and not a textbook I found myself wanting. The story felt more like a means to talk about the science rather than being able to stand on its own. I wanted to see more character development rather than everything falling a little flat. This book had a lot of potential as it is always great to see an interesting well thought out scientific ideas and theories in a Sci-Fi story and setting, but the writing and lack of story really let it down.

Due to the complex scientific theories in this story, I would recommend this to readers who have a good understanding of physics. There are a few adult scenes, but they are tastefully written.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah G's review? Post a comment saying so!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon

Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: Nobody's Safe
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Amanda Deck » 26 Nov 2018, 20:44

I enjoy when books use a story to teach academic subjects...but only when that's how they're presented. When expecting an actual story, it's not so great. I've seen a lot of this, I love the idea, but always want to know what I'm getting into.

Plus, of course, the story part has to be worth reading. AND the academic part has to be accessible! This is why I always read reviews; being prepared for it makes all the difference.

Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G » 26 Nov 2018, 21:35

Yes I totally agree :). I like learning whilst I'm reading and find it a great medium to educate but it just wasn't put in at the right level. Thanks for the comment :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon

briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by briellejee » 12 Jan 2019, 11:08

I really hated physics when I was in school. Others found it easy, I found it really hard. I would rather have chemistry. With that said, this book is clearly isn't for me. However, would have tried it if it wasn't too complicated and was explained in layman's terms and interesting way. Thanks for the honest review! :tiphat:
"Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost"

Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G » 13 Jan 2019, 15:35

Thanks for reading. I'm the same as you with physics, I was more of a biology student really

Espie
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: The Force Awakens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 13 Jan 2019, 18:11

I've had Physics (along with the other "ics" subjects) in high school and college, and yet I still couldn't say I've mastered it well enough to feel comfortable. Nonetheless, the field is important and even crucial in our modern world. It's good, though, if books can make complicated topics more relatable, understandable, and likable. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G » 14 Jan 2019, 14:05

It did make me want to read up more about certain topics which I have and did enjoy. It's just the story that let it down :-/

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”