Review by pkkoya4 -- Oblivion Threshold

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
pkkoya4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pkkoya4.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Review by pkkoya4 -- Oblivion Threshold

Post by pkkoya4 » 13 Oct 2018, 08:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "Oblivion Threshold" by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West is a wonderful book. It is the first book of the Oblivion Series. This is a must for the science fiction lovers. From the beginning till the end there is no way you want to put it down. Only your sleepy, tired eyes will compel you to pause reading.

I picked this book as I love science fiction and it turned out to be a good choice. Well begun is half done! But this book is not only well begun but also well ended! Kudos to the writer for a good job.

The theme of the story is quite different from all the space travel sagas - it's not like the Star Wars; it's not like the Star Trek nor is it like like the Stargate Series or the Battlestar Galactica. It is unique, intriguing and rouses curiosity. "What happens next?" is the constant question in your mind as you turn the pages and think of a million possibilities.

The protagonist becomes a hero when he/she overcomes seemingly impossible odds. It's an old idea but if it handled properly, it proves the adage "old is gold". The writer successfully creates an enemy that has almost no weakness. How does one defeat an enemy that just tears your ships apart like tissue paper? How does one defeat an enemy that swarms you in millions of troops in seconds? You have to read this book know how that can be done and how the protagonist does it.

Advancements in science and technology have to be taken with a pinch of salt as many things can go wrong. Sometimes a new, unknown tech can be disastrous, no matter what reason you have for using it. What is that tech? Why was it dangerous? What was destroyed? These are questions only the book can answer.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. this is because of the line," Not much of India was left due to the heat." Seriously? I fell out laughing as India is a vast country with diverse climatic conditions and it is impossible to destroy the country just by heat! Nuclear radiation might do far more damage but it has to be done on a large scale. Yet, I recommend reading this book as it is very entertaining.

Oblivion Threshold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pkkoya4's review? Post a comment saying so!

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Express Exec by Gary Brose

Post by Cotwani » 04 Dec 2018, 15:14

I'm glad you also enjoyed the book as I did. The one thing I didn't like was the ending. I didn't notice the line about India, but I echo your 'seriously?' at this! Great review!

Feel free to check out my review of the same book at viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88413
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

pkkoya4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pkkoya4.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by pkkoya4 » 05 Dec 2018, 09:09

Thanks very much for your comment cotwani!!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”