Review by Shrabastee -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Shrabastee -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Shrabastee » 17 Sep 2018, 05:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Embalmer" by Vincent Zandri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you see that beautiful woman sitting there with a far-away look in her eyes? Have you tried talking to her? Oh, she did not respond? Now look more closely. Do you understand why she did not talk? It is because she has been dead for a while, yet her body has been preserved in an almost life-like condition.

Yes, someone out there is killing young women by injecting embalming fluid into their bodies while they are still alive. Chief Detective Inspector Miller enlists the help of ex-cop Steve Jobz to identify this ‘Mortician Murderer’, but will the duo be able to thwart his killing spree? Or will they themselves become victims of a ruthless and clearly psychopath killer?

The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri is a fast-paced psychological thriller that keeps the readers glued from the very first page. The bone-chilling horror haunts you but captivates you as well. I found this book to be a comparatively short yet extremely compelling read.

The author has presented us with a very shocking, but unique modus operandi. What sort of killer preserves his victims and then arranges their postures so painstakingly that you cannot even imagine that the pretty girl sitting on that park bench with a smile on her face or that beauty standing serenely on those stairs are nothing but lifeless dolls?

Well, in The Embalmer, Zandri actually lets you peep into the killer’s life. Seeing how the twisted mind works, we cannot help shuddering in disgust. Zandri leaves enough clues throughout the book so that the readers can identify the killer even before Jobz himself puts two and two together. But this revelation further increases the suspense as we now know how dangerous the killer can be.

Crime thrillers are not known for putting much emphasis on character development. But Zandri does an excellent job showing how Jobz, long since resigned to the ridicules he gets because of his namesake, the Apple CEO, finally comes out confident and well aware of his potentials. The ending seems more like a new beginning.

I could not really find anything negative about this book. However, I felt that the author could have elaborated more on the background and the psychological condition of the killer. Knowing how he ended up a killer would have made the story more authentic.

This book deserves a full 4 out of 4 stars. I found a couple of minor errors that did not inhibit the flow of reading. A complete package full of nail-biting suspense and action scenes, this is going to be a treat for any thriller-lover. However, there is considerable blood and gore that calls for a mature audience. All in all, the first book in the Steve Jobz series was excellent and I cannot wait to read the next books.

The Embalmer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 18 Sep 2018, 01:27

I read this book too. Though it was fast-paced, the fact that I was able to deduct who the murderer was early in the book acted as a dampener for me. Thanks for the review!

Shrabastee
Currently Reading:

Post by Shrabastee » 18 Sep 2018, 01:51

Debjani Ghosh wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 01:27
I read this book too. Though it was fast-paced, the fact that I was able to deduct who the murderer was early in the book acted as a dampener for me. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for commenting!
I was rather surprised that Steve could not put two and two together a little earlier. It was quite obvious, really! But the fact that now he has to face the killer with full knowledge of his identity seemed somewhat thrilling to me.

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 566
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 18 Sep 2018, 02:35

"However, I felt that the author could have elaborated more on the background and the psychological condition of the killer." I couldn't agree more on this point. The author could have done a better job in elaborating the villain's condition. Your start was good. Thank you for your candid review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Shrabastee
Currently Reading:

Post by Shrabastee » 18 Sep 2018, 02:46

Sahani Nimandra wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 02:35
"However, I felt that the author could have elaborated more on the background and the psychological condition of the killer." I couldn't agree more on this point. The author could have done a better job in elaborating the villain's condition. Your start was good. Thank you for your candid review!
Thanks Sahani for commenting!
The initial chapters on the killer gave me hope that the author will explain his situation in more details. However, as the story progressed, he seemed more interested in emphasizing the embalming process and the killer's obsession with arranging his supposed 'masterpiece'!

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Post by Cotwani » 19 Sep 2018, 05:26

Your introduction 'hits the nail on the head' in what this book is about. Your review is intriguing and balanced. I have immensely enjoyed reading it. I'm tempted to go ahead and read the book, but keep 'closing my eyes' at the graphic gore sections! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Shrabastee
Currently Reading:

Post by Shrabastee » 19 Sep 2018, 05:58

Cotwani wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 05:26
Your introduction 'hits the nail on the head' in what this book is about. Your review is intriguing and balanced. I have immensely enjoyed reading it. I'm tempted to go ahead and read the book, but keep 'closing my eyes' at the graphic gore sections! Great review!
Thank you so much for your comment! Go on, it's a chilling read, I am sure you will enjoy. But yes, the gore parts are too gruesome!

jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad » 19 Sep 2018, 21:27

I really enjoyed this book as well. I enjoyed the dialogue exchanges between characters. The glimpse into the life of the killer was really cool. This is definitely a fun book to read and I will pick up the next Steve Jobz novel. Thanks for the great review and I'm glad I found another fan of this book. My review will be coming soon.

Shrabastee
Currently Reading:

Post by Shrabastee » 20 Sep 2018, 01:18

jcoad wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 21:27
I really enjoyed this book as well. I enjoyed the dialogue exchanges between characters. The glimpse into the life of the killer was really cool. This is definitely a fun book to read and I will pick up the next Steve Jobz novel. Thanks for the great review and I'm glad I found another fan of this book. My review will be coming soon.
Yes, the dialogue exchanges were hilarious. I loved the rapport between Jobz and his boss especially! The next book will definitely be in my TBR list.
Thanks for commenting! I will look forward to reading your take on the book.

Bavithra M
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Bavithra M » 14 Jan 2019, 00:38

Very intresting book. The dailogues of the characters are good. The review of the book is also too good.
Bavithra M

Lunastella
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: El baile de las luciérnagas
Bookshelf Size: 652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Lunastella » 14 Jan 2019, 12:05

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you see that beautiful woman sitting there with a far-away look in her eyes? Have you tried talking to her? Oh, she did not respond? Now look more closely. Do you understand why she did not talk? It is because she has been dead for a while, yet her body has been preserved in an almost life-like condition.
Oh, God! Your introduction sent chills down my spine!
I can't wait to read this book! I love thrillers and I have a morbid fascination for reading about how criminal minds work. And it's amazing to find great character development too, often thrillers overlook this in favor of action or other aspects.
Super enticing review, thanks!

Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ronel_Steyn » Yesterday, 07:21

This sounds like an interesting read. The fact that the reader deduces who the true killer is before the character in the book could be a bit frustrating. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”