Official Review: Treasure of the magical mine moppets

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Include the name of the book, and if possible the author's name, in the title of the topic. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 81
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: How to Build Children with Integrity by Karen Budzinski

Official Review: Treasure of the magical mine moppets

Post by LivreAmour217 » 12 Sep 2018, 13:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Treasure of the magical mine moppets" by KJ Blocker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

KJ Blocker's Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets is a whimsical children's story that teaches the importance of family, friendship, and kindness. The story begins with Tom Powers, a farmer who hopes to end world hunger with Ubercorn, which grows like a forest on the Powers' Farm. Tom cares deeply for his wife, Mary Ann, and their son, Jimmy, but they tend to get lost amidst Tom's big plans for his crop.

When Tom's estranged father, Pappy, suddenly reenters his life, Tom finds himself caught up in a personal vendetta against Pappy held by Mr. Withers, the conniving president of the local bank. To settle an old score, Mr. Withers intends to repossess both Tom's farm and Pappy's salt mine, the latter of which is home to a host of magical beings known as the Mine Moppets. With the Moppets' help, can the Powers family pull together and take down the greedy Mr. Withers?

Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets is a charming story that is suited perfectly for elementary school children. Reading this book felt reminiscent of childhood favorites such as Charlotte's Web, and I believe that it would be a perfect choice for a bedtime story or classroom read-along. The plot is simple and straightforward, but also detailed enough to spark the reader's curiosity and garner genuine concern for the main characters and their outcomes.

This book also contains some valuable lessons for children, such as the importance of honesty and treating others well. The significance of personal decision-making is also well demonstrated within Tom, Pappy, and Mr. Withers. Each character grapples with life's disappointments in his own way, and their choices ultimately determine whether or not they are able to overcome their respective challenges.

The book is well written as a whole, and contains only a few errors that could be easily corrected. The style of writing and the vocabulary are best suited for elementary school children in third through fifth grade. Children in Kindergarten through second grade would best appreciate the story with the help of a teacher or parent.

I have only one minor criticism of this book, which is that it would benefit from the addition of a few more pictures. The illustrations within are lovely and tie in well with the story itself, but they are sparse and don't include all of the characters. A few more illustrations would provide a more complete feel to the book and enhance the overall enjoyment of the story.

Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets is a wonderful children's book, and I award it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to parents and teachers who wish to share a story that is meaningful, yet simple and fun, with their children or students.

Treasure of the magical mine moppets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 13 Sep 2018, 01:44

This seems like an apt book for young children. However, I am not the target audience for this book. Thanks for the review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: It's Just a Matter of Balance by Kevin S. Garrison

Post by kandscreeley » 13 Sep 2018, 08:08

It's really too bad there aren't more illustrations as the cover is lovely. Still, it sounds like a great story, very enjoyable for the age group. Thanks for a lovely review. I'm pretty far out of the target range, but books like this are still enjoyable from time to time.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun » 14 Sep 2018, 20:52

I really like the idea behind this book. Thank you for this review.

Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe » 16 Sep 2018, 02:21

I love children's book that contain important lessons like this one. Children need to know the importance of being honest.

daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: Elvis Blue by Lee Roberts

Post by daydreaming reader » 23 Sep 2018, 20:04

This book sounds like a great read for kids. Thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Kareka88
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 216
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 305
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Destiny Revealed by Eleanor Tremayne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 » 26 Sep 2018, 16:27

Thank you for your review. This sounds like a very whimsical story and would be great for young people as well as those who may, at times, feel like a young person.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”