Tutorial Video Explaining Practical Features

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
asere_maryanne
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Tutorial Video Explaining Practical Features

Post by asere_maryanne » 12 Aug 2018, 11:16

I joined the onlinebookclub and I found out that there is so much to learn. I have a problem with italicizing the title when posting a review. I have really tried but I still cannot get the hang of it. I believe the administrators can come up with a tutorial video which explains such things in this platform. If there is one already, please let me know.
Thank you in advance

AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant

Post by AmySmiles » 12 Aug 2018, 11:20

asere_maryanne wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 11:16
I joined the onlinebookclub and I found out that there is so much to learn. I have a problem with italicizing the title when posting a review. I have really tried but I still cannot get the hang of it. I believe the administrators can come up with a tutorial video which explains such things in this platform. If there is one already, please let me know.
Thank you in advance
There isn't a video but there is a thread in the review team support forum that explains it and you can practice. But I find that if you highlight the words you want italicized and then press the I button at the top of the post. It will make those words in italics.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

asere_maryanne

Post by asere_maryanne » 13 Aug 2018, 01:23

I always do this but when I check the editor's scorecard, I am told it is not italicized.

katiesquilts
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 112
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 612
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: A Price of Blood by Renee Peters and Rae Stilwell

Post by katiesquilts » 13 Aug 2018, 03:10

Make sure you italicize after copying and pasting your review into the post if you write it somewhere else, like in Word. Even if you format in Word those changes will not be carried over, so you have to use the italics/bold buttons here on the website! (Not sure if that was your problem, but hopefully it will help!)

kfwilson6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Here Comes Little Jenna Jafferty by Terra Kern
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 13 Aug 2018, 12:03

You also need to make sure you preview the review before submitting. Check for your italics, bold, and spacing in the preview screen.

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant

Post by AmySmiles » 13 Aug 2018, 12:33

kfwilson6 wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 12:03
You also need to make sure you preview the review before submitting. Check for your italics, bold, and spacing in the preview screen.
:text-yeahthat:
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

asere_maryanne

Post by asere_maryanne » 19 Aug 2018, 11:42

Thank you all for the pieces of advice. I will make a point to observe them all and see how it turns out.

DorcasToo
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by DorcasToo » 20 Aug 2018, 14:16

I had the same problem at first but with time I got the gist. Always remember to preview severally before submitting it helps. Then, after submitting confirm everything is okay before going back to review page. Hope this will help.
He lays me besides still waters. He prepares a banquet before my enemies.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall not fear.
For the Lord is my Shepherd
:techie-reference:

Tiny_Turtle
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Favorite Book: Scattered Leaves
Currently Reading: Mysteries of Brettenwood
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiny-turtle.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tiny_Turtle » 27 Aug 2018, 23:35

Since your talking about italicizing the title, I thought I'd give you a tip. If your book is part of a series, then the series name has to be italicized as well.

You may already know this, but I overlooked it once, and got dinged for it. I was a little nervous, and it didn't click in my brain that the series name is actually part of the title name.

Just trying to help a teammate. Good luck with your review. 💕

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”