Does the book contain an undertone of girl power?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Does the book contain an undertone of girl power?

Post by joycechitwa » 27 Jul 2018, 02:23

I found it interesting that men, or rather the masculine characters in this book take a back seat. The expert fly fisher, who sort of coaches the other girls, is a woman - Rose. The person who is so instrumental in bringing this group together is also a woman - Sophie. All the characters indulge in fly fishing, a sport considered predominantly male. Even when they were rescuing Melody from the river, it's all girls who did it.

I could go on and on about how Veronica is an accomplished corporate girl, a domain typically considered male, and Amanda single-handedly raising her children since her husband is in Afghanistan.....

Did the author intentionally bring out the can-do, will-do attitude in women?

Kareka88
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 224
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Royal Marriages by Susanna de Vries
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 » 24 Aug 2018, 16:47

I really did not get that impression, however you are not the only person I have noticed that has come up with this idea. I think the fact that they participate in a sport that is typically considered a man's sport is where that concept comes from, but I just wouldn't consider it in that light.

This may be because I personally can relate so much to those women in the manner that you mentioned them. I can relate to Rose in being a mentor to other women. Just as Veronica, I was an executive in the corporate world and chose to leave that world to forge my own path. Just as Sophie, I was single for many years and was very independent and had only myself to rely on. I don't know if I could cut firewood, but I am definitely self sufficient in many areas.
I could see my friends and I in most of these scenes so to me this is just what a woman is/does.

I guess if that is girl power then more power to you, but I see it as just women being women and friends being friends.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

holsam_87
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Currently Reading: Crime Interrupted
Bookshelf Size: 1100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 » 25 Aug 2018, 17:01

I think that was the feeling that I got from this book. All of the women had strong, go getter personalities which were inspiring to me.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Itskai88
2019 Reading Goal: 61
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
2018 Reading Goal: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Itskai88 » 07 Jan 2019, 14:57

yes it does and i say this because that is how i see it, women can undertake task and be accomplished in life without losing it. it sounded like the author was sending a message.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”