Fussy Fantasy Reader

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
TwistedHelix
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fussy Fantasy Reader

Post by TwistedHelix » 08 Jul 2018, 07:21

Hi All,

I like Fantasy, however, not J R R tolkein remakes. They are all painfully samey; Coming of age stable boy, a princess a big bad that's bad for badness sakes. Ridiculously long bloated narration. Cliche language such as the "for the.." template etc.

I enjoyed Feists work somewhat, and the actual LOTR was decent. GoT has been decent, though still have to power through the above issues.

My finished fantasy reading lists are
1. Dark Tower
2. Feists trilogy
3. H Potter
4. The Night Watch series (fantastic if you can grit through the average translation. I forgave it as Russian to direct English is essentially impossible so kudos to the editors/translators for getting it 95% correct).
5. LOTR
6. GoT

My incomplete list due to "not for me" is growing faster than wildfire.
I like fantasy, however am getting tired of the same old formats of medievil setting.

Are there any fantasys set with standard tech or advanced tech?

I DO NOT mean tech has to be involved with magical systems.
I DO NOT mean tech has to play any sort of major role.

I do not want a space opera with magic.

I literally mean a novel with magic and arcane wonders where instead of travelling by horse - a car or car-like invention exists.
Where instead of a big battle being yet another castle smash, could be a military complex.

Preferably also not based on Earth.

I have tried Jim Butchers dresden files and ugh, no, just no.

Yes I am fussy. Yes I am blunt.

But I hate having no books to read, and have gone a few months finding nothing but LOTR remakes, like Sanderson et al. It's all the same story in terms of setting and atmosphere, only the plot differs, but has the same allegorical feel.

Many thanks.

Ksharmilla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Ksharmilla » 14 Jul 2018, 19:38

Have you tried the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini? I find it similar to LOTR and Harry Potter in some aspects but it's nice. It's set in a land called Alagaesia.

TwistedHelix
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TwistedHelix » 20 Jul 2018, 06:02

Many thanks for the replies. I shall give all titles recommended a chance.

Joanna19
Currently Reading: The Ring of Solomon
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Joanna19 » 13 Sep 2018, 16:54

I have been enjoying the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. Witty, magical, an easy read, and set in a London scene where airplanes, cars and computers coincide with imps, djinn, magicians and summoning circles.

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 883

Post by Gravy » 13 Sep 2018, 21:31

TwistedHelix wrote: ‚ÜĎ
08 Jul 2018, 07:21
Hi All,

I like Fantasy, however, not J R R tolkein remakes. They are all painfully samey; Coming of age stable boy, a princess a big bad that's bad for badness sakes. Ridiculously long bloated narration. Cliche language such as the "for the.." template etc.

I enjoyed Feists work somewhat, and the actual LOTR was decent. GoT has been decent, though still have to power through the above issues.

My finished fantasy reading lists are
1. Dark Tower
2. Feists trilogy
3. H Potter
4. The Night Watch series (fantastic if you can grit through the average translation. I forgave it as Russian to direct English is essentially impossible so kudos to the editors/translators for getting it 95% correct).
5. LOTR
6. GoT

My incomplete list due to "not for me" is growing faster than wildfire.
I like fantasy, however am getting tired of the same old formats of medievil setting.

Are there any fantasys set with standard tech or advanced tech?

I DO NOT mean tech has to be involved with magical systems.
I DO NOT mean tech has to play any sort of major role.

I do not want a space opera with magic.

I literally mean a novel with magic and arcane wonders where instead of travelling by horse - a car or car-like invention exists.
Where instead of a big battle being yet another castle smash, could be a military complex.

Preferably also not based on Earth.

I have tried Jim Butchers dresden files and ugh, no, just no.

Yes I am fussy. Yes I am blunt.

But I hate having no books to read, and have gone a few months finding nothing but LOTR remakes, like Sanderson et al. It's all the same story in terms of setting and atmosphere, only the plot differs, but has the same allegorical feel.

Many thanks.
Does the big nope to The Dresden Files make urban fantasy a no go?

Have you tried any Terry Pratchett?
If we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

We've all got light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.

Return to ‚ÄúPersonalized Reading Recommendations‚ÄĚ