Need A Science Fiction World, but....

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Mentat1231
Bookshelf Size: 0

Need A Science Fiction World, but....

Post by Mentat1231 » 21 Jun 2018, 10:42

This is my first post here, and I have no idea if this is the right place to ask this sort of thing. Moreover, my parameters seem obscure even to me! Sorry...

Basically, I've read a lot of sci-fi, but there are some writers whose style I adore, and many others (though great) whose style I really don't like.

What is it that Ursula K Leguin had that Asimov didn't? I think Asimov's writing is rightly considered "great sci-fi", but it isn't my cup of tea. But, I could read Leguin any day. And I also really enjoyed the Dune series (all of it, though I admit the prequels and sequels from Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson are inferior writing... by that point I was in love with the world).

The "Uplift" series from Brin had every right to win me over (I love the "progenitor" idea and ancient races in general), but... I don't know what it is. It felt very "syfy tv series"-esque in its execution. The promise of the ideas couldn't get me past the second book (I did give it two books, out of hope that it would get better!).

Who/what should I read that will capture whatever it is that LeGuin and Herbert had, but that Asimov and Brin don't? I don't really know what it is. Perhaps it's the sort of transcendant themes and air of their settings and characters? Let me list a few more things I've loved and some that have let me down, and maybe it will help...

Loved: Orson Scott Card... specifically the trilogy after Ender's Game (Ender's Game itself and the Shadow spin-offs are very good, but too... gritty? too down-to-Earth-right-now?), the Homecoming Saga, and Wyrms (<-- my favorite). I also think the Pathfinder Trilogy was good, but a bit childish (YA?).

Liked: Anne McCaffrey... Pern is a wonderful world to stop in and visit from time to time. Super light, but enjoyable. And I even liked the Pegasus trilogy; though it was a little too comic-bookish at times.

Liked: Tom Toner's "Promise of the Child".... but, the ending is... frankly, ridiculous. And I have no desire to read the sequel.

I've also loved a great deal of sci-fi short stories, and of course I adore H. G. Wells and Jules Verne.

Didn't like: Niven's "Ringworld" or Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama". The former is too absurd and cobbled together, and the latter is too... grounded? I don't know. They both tease an amazing, transcendant race, but it's just a tease.

I could go on and on. Does anyone see what the common threads are? Would more examples help?

One that I really thought I'd like was The Culture series by Banks... I'll be honest, it was the constantly foul language that turned me off after Consider Phlebas. That's probably a point I'll need to be flexible about (I mean, the same thing caused me to stop reading Bear's "Eon" part way through... and it was a bit "Rama"-ish).

What do you think? Am I hopeless? Any suggestions?

Kdefaye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kdefaye » 10 Jan 2019, 14:17

I haven't read much of what you mention, but I loved Anne McAffrey, and from there I read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I also really liked Jackaby by William Ritter, the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. I tend toward YA because I don't like foul language or sex 'scenes'.

Jagiine
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by Jagiine » 11 Jan 2019, 20:53

I don't know most of what you're talking about, but I really enjoyed The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne M. Valente. Each chapter is a different narrator with a unique voice and distinct story. You will probably like several chapters if not every one.

00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by 00LynnMarie » 12 Jan 2019, 13:40

Have you ever read anything by Neil Gaiman? His work definitely has a mixed genre feel. It is somewhere in the land of sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. I love his work though, and it may give you an opportunity to explore something a little different. I find when I read heavily from the same genre for awhile everything I read starts to feel a little stale. Other recommendations I would give you that you haven't already mentioned are: Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, and I even like Dean Koontz, though I find his work sort of a horror/sci-fi blend. I loved all of the books in the Ender series and loved Dune as well. I've read many of the books you listed and enjoyed most of them. I hope you find what you are looking for!
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”