Recommendations to cure my reading slump

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Elldarling
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elldarling.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Recommendations to cure my reading slump

Post by Elldarling » 14 Jun 2018, 12:22

Hello there, my name is Ella and I would very much appreciate some good book recommendations. I’m just about to finish some very stressful exams and desperately need an escape to the fictional world.

My favorite genres are fantasy, historical fiction and mystery. Honestly just throw your favorite books at me so I can finally read after a highly intense year.

Thank you guys:)

mgosselin137
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgosselin137.html
Latest Review: The Devil Take Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by mgosselin137 » 15 Jun 2018, 06:53

For historical fiction I would recommend The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett or The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. For Fantasy I would recommend The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. I have found all of these to be easy reads and great books to get lost in.

PlanetHauth
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Curly Girl
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth » 15 Jun 2018, 23:48

Anything by Sherrilynn Kenyon for paranormal romance (and mabe normal romance).

Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, Tamora Pierce are great Fantasy authors. Jordan is a little longer and heavier, though. Sanderson also has large novels and series going, but has some smaller novels and novellas if you'd prefer those. Pierce is technically YA, but she's a fantastic writer, and they're easy breezy reads.

Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite (who I found out is actually a man :shrug:) is an awesome horror fiction. Brite's writing style is highly descriptive, but done well.

I'm also working my way through Roger Zelazny's The Great Book of Amber which is a 10 book series bound in one book. Zelazny also has a very descriptive, pretty flowery writing style, but it's intriguing and works well.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 » 16 Jun 2018, 13:28

Elldarling wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 12:22
Hello there, my name is Ella and I would very much appreciate some good book recommendations. I’m just about to finish some very stressful exams and desperately need an escape to the fictional world.

My favorite genres are fantasy, historical fiction and mystery. Honestly just throw your favorite books at me so I can finally read after a highly intense year.

Thank you guys:)
Ella, I HIGHLY recommend The Different Kinds of Monsters by Seth Chambers. It cured my reading slump for sure. I finished it in 2 days.

Julie Green
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Julie Green » 18 Jun 2018, 12:40

Hi Ella
You totally should read the Shardlake series by CJ Samson. It's set in the sixteenth century during the reign of Henry VIII. If you're looking for some escapism, I found these books to be absolutely absorbing!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”