On Office Sexual Harassment

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
GPM
2018 Reading Goal: 13
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading: Personality and Personhood
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Re: On Office Sexual Harassment

Post by GPM »

Jillpillbooknerd wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 07:03
As someone who has worked in an office setting where we had one of our employees get fired for sexual harassment, I don't think her reactions were really a strength or weakness. It's very hard to report someone that is in power or directly above you. I was glad that Angela was able to get out of that situation without it being worse for her. I liked the way that the author handled everything about that.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Choine
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 110
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

This is such a difficult question to answer. Thankfully, I have never had to face the same circumstances so I can't judge the author's portrayal of Angela's reaction completely. Given the current situation, it seems that she did the best she could at the time. I can only imagine how difficult a choice like that is to make when the predator is ahead of you in the corporate game.

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I think she only wanted to continue her dream job. So, you can't take it as her weakness or strength. When you worked so much for something and whether you loose or keep it depends on whether you submit to sexual harassment, different people might make different choices. It's not her weakness because she knows what's happening but doesn't want to give up her job and you can't take it as a strength of her character for obvious reasons.

Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Jillpillbooknerd wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 07:03
As someone who has worked in an office setting where we had one of our employees get fired for sexual harassment, I don't think her reactions were really a strength or weakness. It's very hard to report someone that is in power or directly above you. I was glad that Angela was able to get out of that situation without it being worse for her. I liked the way that the author handled everything about that.
You are right. It is usually not easy to report someone above you. She did well to get herself out of the situation.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”