Official Review: Seven Figure Ami$h from Buggy to Benz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
JudasFm
Currently Reading: The Seventh Gate
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judasfm.html
Latest Review: Seven Figure Ami$h from Buggy to Benz by Amos Borntreger

Official Review: Seven Figure Ami$h from Buggy to Benz

Post by JudasFm » 08 Jun 2018, 08:29

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seven Figure Ami$h from Buggy to Benz" by Amos Borntreger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seven Figure Ami$h from Buggy to Benz by Amos Borntreger is the story of one man's journey from his humble beginnings in an Amish family to his status as a wealthy businessman. I always love reading about different ways of life, so this book piqued my curiosity right from the beginning.

We learn right away that this author didn't have the easiest childhood. Branded stupid in class because of his dyslexia, and called worthless by his own father because of the author's inability to keep up with the hard, physical lifestyle of the Amish, these initial hardships were what later enabled him to succeed.

The style of writing is quite clever. While driving from Missouri to Ohio to speak at an event, the author starts to reminisce about where he came from, and how he ended up where he is now. His history is told in a series of flashbacks that segue nicely into the present day. The switch from present to past and back again is clearly marked, which is good.

Unlike other books by former Amish members (such as Tears of the Silenced by Misty Griffin) which often tend to dwell on the negative side of the lifestyle, this book is different, which makes for a more interesting read. For example, although his father's rejection of him clearly hurt, it was still fascinating to learn about how the author helped his father to make metal wheel rims for buggies. I also found it refreshing that the author isn't bitter or resentful towards the Amish; instead, he credits his success to the work ethic he developed in that community.

When it comes to teaching life lessons, many inspirational books have all the subtlety of an anvil to the head. Thankfully, this isn't the case with this book. The author inserts good lessons about leadership into his own story, making the reader feel like we're learning with him, not from him. He's able to laugh at his own mistakes – such as the first time he tried driving a car – and also admits to reading inspirational books himself, acknowledging that just because he's successful, it doesn't mean that he has nothing more to learn.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys inspirational stories. As the title suggests, the author's hard work and determination took him from an Amish buggy to a Mercedes-Benz in the space of four years. It doesn't get much more inspirational than that.

There are some minor errors in spelling and punctuation, but these are few and far between. The repetitions of "if you want it badly enough, you can have it" get a little wearing, and the final chapter is targeted far more at the reader than the rest of the book, which jarred me a bit. However, it must be said that none of these things detracted from the book as a whole. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and so I have no hesitation in rating it 4 out of 4 stars.

Seven Figure Ami$h from Buggy to Benz
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JudasFm's review? Post a comment saying so!

SamSim
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading: The Lucky Two
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Stepping Up by donalyn Powell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 12 Jun 2018, 08:45

I was originally not interested in this book, but your review makes me want to read it. I really enjoy reading about lifestyles that differ from my own, and this author certainly has a uniquely positive perspective, it sounds like. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

JudasFm

Post by JudasFm » 12 Jun 2018, 09:10

Thank you :) To be honest, when I started reading this book, I was initially prepared for a large chunk of it to be an anti-Amish rant, but there's honestly none of that. The author mentions why he leaves and how it was for him, but his attitude towards the Amish as a whole is along the lines of, "it's a shame it didn't work out, guys."

Mouricia25
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 141
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: Creole Moon: Book of Roots by S T Holmes
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia25 » 13 Jun 2018, 18:50

This seems like a book I would want to try. I don't know if I will like it, but it's worth a try. Thank you for your review.

JudasFm

Post by JudasFm » 13 Jun 2018, 20:05

You're welcome, and thank you for your comment. Yes, I would say this book is definitely worth a try. I hope you enjoy it!

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: Vilette
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 14 Jun 2018, 03:06

I can relate with this author when branded to be stupid because of dyslexia as I also had experienced it in my childhood times. This book is worth reading especially when one is curious about what did he do that made him to be successful now.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

JudasFm

Post by JudasFm » 15 Jun 2018, 01:25

ParadoxicalWoman wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 03:06
I can relate with this author when branded to be stupid because of dyslexia as I also had experienced it in my childhood times.
Thank you for your comment :)

A friend of mine had the same problem. Her teachers were so bad that she didn't learn to read until she was 18 and still has trouble even now (reading novels is a chore for her, not a pleasure).

She went on to become successful and ended up running her own clinic.

Plfern
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by Plfern » 15 Jun 2018, 15:06

Your review has inspired me to want to read this book. I enjoy reading stories about how other people overcome their obstacles in life. This sounds like a good read. Thank you for the interesting review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”