What is so fascinating about circus life?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Disneyland
2019 Reading Goal: 17
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 460
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disneyland.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What is so fascinating about circus life?

Post by Disneyland » 18 Sep 2018, 18:33

Circus life is chosen on account of free will and hobby, by Duke Reynolds. This speaks volumes about it. This is sheer genius! Such a life is insecure and vulnerable to dangers.The various members of circus described in the story add fuel to the fire of our quest against all imperfections and limitations. Also the issue of an ideal society that can lead to more recognition and acceptance of the members comes into picture!

SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: The Evil Underneath by Jeremy Bennett

Post by SpencerVo » 14 Nov 2018, 18:29

The novel presented the circus crowd in such a refreshing way. They are often regarded either as weirdos or as the misunderstood. Here, they were not framed as victims of exploitative practices. The circus was not their destitute prison but their destined stage.

I personally found their characters so funny and endearing. Some may find these depictions a bit insensitive or even insulting, but the author didn't want us to see them as pitiable. They wanted to be seen as passionate artists and the masters of their own narratives.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Kishor Rao
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Kishor Rao » 25 Nov 2018, 01:08

The circus seems like such a happy place to be in. Through this book, I learnt the difficulties that the people working in a circus go through. No, I don't go to circuses now but I used to visit very often. I think Duke is very much happy being the famous sword swallower that he is.
We readers are never out of books to read. Read my latest review and pick your new book!

Radiant3
Favorite Book: Heartaches 2
Currently Reading: The sword swallower and the chico kid
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Radiant3 » 13 Jan 2019, 12:59

I would say the constant variety of experiences, new places, new people and the excitement of the performances.

Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shrabastee » Yesterday, 01:44

1. 'mirage' is the perfect choice of word to describe circus life. I am saying this not only because of the harsh reality this book reveals, but also some documentary I have read in newspapers regarding this topic. There is certainly more than meets the eye to this highly engaging show we watch.
2. To be very honest, I have been to circus only once. I want to experience it at least one more time to see whether my childhood experience differs from that of now. Also, not going to circus will not help the performers who depend upon it for their livelihood.
3. I believe the book provides ample glimpses into the inner workings of circus life. The two examples are where the performers carry on the show despite the sad demise of their fellow workers, because "the show must go on", and that the circus gives free meth to its employees to help them cope.
4. Although he is fairly happy and easygoing about it, and he always lives in the moment, I believe risking life at every breath will not be any person's job of choice. I believe this was not the best, but the optimum choice for Duke.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”