Movie adaptation?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Post Reply
User avatar
britt13
Posts: 397
Joined: 04 Nov 2017, 21:19
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: The Killing of Cristobel Tranter by Dennis Talbot

Re: Movie adaptation?

Post by britt13 » 19 Mar 2018, 21:25

Camille Turner wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 09:47
This is a great question! I think that it would make a good movie in general and most people would really like it...apart from myself. I wouldn't enjoy seeing such difficult scenes (without giving anything away to those who haven't read it, I'm sure you can imagine which ones I'm referring to). I do think a movie would be a great way to get people talking and thinking about these issues, but I don't think I'd personally see it. I loved the book very much and I usually turn to reading over watching movies when it comes to considering really deep and difficult issues. Books still affect me just as much as movies but in a different way. For example, I can read a suspense novel and feel caught up in all of the suspense but be ok. But if I watch a suspense movie, I have nightmares! I wonder if anyone else is like that?
I think the scenes that I assume you are referencing could be done tastefully with many insinuations (though I know that they would not because people like action and the catharsis is more intense with it shown). I think a really hard scene for me to watch would be the one with Vince and Miles on the night walk. I know it sounds silly because no one dies, but I actually feel that is one of the more violent scenes.

User avatar
britt13
Posts: 397
Joined: 04 Nov 2017, 21:19
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: The Killing of Cristobel Tranter by Dennis Talbot

Post by britt13 » 19 Mar 2018, 21:28

Shimar ahamed wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 21:11
Movie will destroy your imagination. The characters which your mind created, the places which you constructed in your own creativity will be destroyed. You are the director of your movie. Let your creativity and imaginations be and not someone else's perception. Individual perception of a book is far more satisfying than a movie.
I can see your point. As a director myself (theatrical, not cinematic) I often feel let down when I see movies because I think of what could have been done differently. I know that many readers, directors or not, feel the same way. That being said, I still like books becoming movies. I enjoy that interaction of my imagination and someone else's (or many others, because movies take an army) colliding.

User avatar
britt13
Posts: 397
Joined: 04 Nov 2017, 21:19
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: The Killing of Cristobel Tranter by Dennis Talbot

Post by britt13 » 19 Mar 2018, 21:30

kfwilson6 wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 21:11
ccrews0408 wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 17:44
I don't think I would like to see this book as a movie. It was an entertaining read; however, the book wasn't overly exciting. If it were to be made into a movie, I think a lot more would have to be added to make it more enjoyable.
So glad to see someone else felt this way about it. Although I could vividly imagine the scenes and the characters and truly enjoyed the book, I just don't think the movie would have enough action and would move too slowly. Although the dialogue was interesting for the most part, it was quite extensive. I think I would get bored listening to Vince ask his multitude of questions. The final scene at the NRA event would be pretty epic though.
I think some of the focus would have to be pulled to other issues in the book as well. For instance, I think immigration would have to be a bigger part. Focus on the FBI investigation would have to be tweaked to be more interesting. I get what you are saying, it would need some work.

User avatar
britt13
Posts: 397
Joined: 04 Nov 2017, 21:19
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: The Killing of Cristobel Tranter by Dennis Talbot

Post by britt13 » 19 Mar 2018, 21:33

kfwilson6 wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 21:13
Camille Turner wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 09:47
This is a great question! I think that it would make a good movie in general and most people would really like it...apart from myself. I wouldn't enjoy seeing such difficult scenes (without giving anything away to those who haven't read it, I'm sure you can imagine which ones I'm referring to). I do think a movie would be a great way to get people talking and thinking about these issues, but I don't think I'd personally see it. I loved the book very much and I usually turn to reading over watching movies when it comes to considering really deep and difficult issues. Books still affect me just as much as movies but in a different way. For example, I can read a suspense novel and feel caught up in all of the suspense but be ok. But if I watch a suspense movie, I have nightmares! I wonder if anyone else is like that?
I wouldn't particularly enjoy seeing the scene where Vince and his dog get attacked or the homicide scenes. I can't handle anything with blood. If they did it in a non-graphic way where the gun is pointed at someone and you hear it go off but never see the body, I could be okay with it. I think it would be too political with not enough action so wouldn't attract a very large audience.
You are right that it is obviously very political. It would alienate a large part of this county. Also, I do not know how well it would play to international audiences. I think our current administration is not something we want to showcase more of to other countries.

User avatar
Swara Sangeet
Posts: 609
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 04:28
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Currently Reading: The Secrets We Keep
Bookshelf Size: 246
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swara-sangeet.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Swara Sangeet » 19 Mar 2018, 22:59

In my opinion, this would make a thrilling movie. I think that all the characters need to be portrayed well. Perhaps a few of the shootings (old age home, suicide, sales assistant) need not be enacted but just given as news headlines, but the rest should be done. The Khans could be downplayed as well. I'm very eager for the movie. I'd try to be the first to watch it!

User avatar
Camille Turner
Posts: 569
Joined: 28 Feb 2018, 22:24
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Things to Do in Baltimore While Having a Heart Attack by Isaac Green

Post by Camille Turner » 20 Mar 2018, 08:53

britt13 wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 21:25
Camille Turner wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 09:47
This is a great question! I think that it would make a good movie in general and most people would really like it...apart from myself. I wouldn't enjoy seeing such difficult scenes (without giving anything away to those who haven't read it, I'm sure you can imagine which ones I'm referring to). I do think a movie would be a great way to get people talking and thinking about these issues, but I don't think I'd personally see it. I loved the book very much and I usually turn to reading over watching movies when it comes to considering really deep and difficult issues. Books still affect me just as much as movies but in a different way. For example, I can read a suspense novel and feel caught up in all of the suspense but be ok. But if I watch a suspense movie, I have nightmares! I wonder if anyone else is like that?
I think the scenes that I assume you are referencing could be done tastefully with many insinuations (though I know that they would not because people like action and the catharsis is more intense with it shown). I think a really hard scene for me to watch would be the one with Vince and Miles on the night walk. I know it sounds silly because no one dies, but I actually feel that is one of the more violent scenes.
I agree that I doubt it would be done 100% with insinuations. I don't think that's silly! I feel like that would be a very difficult one to watch as well...even knowing what happens from having read the book, it would be so disturbing.

420waystoreachthesun
Posts: 200
Joined: 20 Mar 2018, 11:47
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun » 20 Mar 2018, 12:15

I think that this book would make a great movie. Though nerds like me will endlessly complain about the differences in the two.

User avatar
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Posts: 1284
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 07:38
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 21 Mar 2018, 09:40

If this novel has to be made into a movie, it might touch on the sensibilities of some groups. Depending on how the adaptation would take shape, there are sensitive points that have to be addressed and addressed acceptably for society at large.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

User avatar
RachelP1998
Posts: 5
Joined: 20 Feb 2018, 14:16
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelp1998.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by RachelP1998 » 21 Mar 2018, 11:38

I think this book would work well as a movie, however, of course as always, not every scene would be used so I would still find the book better.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

User avatar
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2057
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 15:30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 101
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 21 Mar 2018, 13:25

Shimar ahamed wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 21:11
Movie will destroy your imagination. The characters which your mind created, the places which you constructed in your own creativity will be destroyed. You are the director of your movie. Let your creativity and imaginations be and not someone else's perception. Individual perception of a book is far more satisfying than a movie.
This is why I like to read a book before seeing a movie adaptation. I feel like my imagination has already done it's work if I read the book first. I have been able to create an image of each character and scene in my mind. But it is fun afterwards to see how someone else imagined it. What their image of each character turned out to be and see it all really brought to life.

User avatar
n-dai che
Posts: 247
Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 20:41
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che » 22 Mar 2018, 06:32

Shimar ahamed wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 21:11
Movie will destroy your imagination. The characters which your mind created, the places which you constructed in your own creativity will be destroyed. You are the director of your movie. Let your creativity and imaginations be and not someone else's perception. Individual perception of a book is far more satisfying than a movie.
I agree with your point as well. Our imagination makes our brain at work. but sometimes, we imagine beyond the author's point. You have a nice observation, though. :tiphat:

User avatar
R-g-R
Posts: 157
Joined: 29 Dec 2017, 21:34
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 234
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R » 23 Mar 2018, 08:41

The idea of a movie is initially compelling, however I agree with other comments stating that there is a lot of dialogue and less action than ‘action thrillers’ would require. If a movie, it would need to be made as a drama, however there would be a risk of confusion as some would see guns and ‘Final Notice’ and think ‘serious action’, and then perhaps be disappointed.
It could be a nice change from some of the ‘regular’ senior’s flicks, though!

User avatar
n-dai che
Posts: 247
Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 20:41
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che » 23 Mar 2018, 21:41

RachelP1998 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 11:38
I think this book would work well as a movie, however, of course as always, not every scene would be used so I would still find the book better.
You're right! I agree. every scenes in movie gives clear data, but the concept of story in the book exercises our brains.

User avatar
VictoriaMcMillen
Posts: 149
Joined: 24 Jan 2018, 16:39
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 146
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen » 24 Mar 2018, 13:39

Shelle wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 08:22
Oooooo! Good question! Like most members of OBC, I typically find the book to be better than the movie, although some film adaptations have been quite remarkable. Some scenes would play out well on film and others would have to be augmented to make sense. How would you cast this, I wonder? What actors would embrace the spirit and personalities of the characters best?
Ooooo! I love your question! The role of Alex... wouldn't it be quite awesome to see Liam Hemsworth cast? Oprah would make for an awesome Ms. Jenkins, and Eva could be cast as Selena Gomez. I wonder who would be the red-head twins? I will be thinking about this as I read the next novel!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King

User avatar
n-dai che
Posts: 247
Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 20:41
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che » 25 Mar 2018, 03:16

VictoriaMcMillen wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 13:39
Shelle wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 08:22
Oooooo! Good question! Like most members of OBC, I typically find the book to be better than the movie, although some film adaptations have been quite remarkable. Some scenes would play out well on film and others would have to be augmented to make sense. How would you cast this, I wonder? What actors would embrace the spirit and personalities of the characters best?
Ooooo! I love your question! The role of Alex... wouldn't it be quite awesome to see Liam Hemsworth cast? Oprah would make for an awesome Ms. Jenkins, and Eva could be cast as Selena Gomez. I wonder who would be the red-head twins? I will be thinking about this as I read the next novel!
Your right! I also want to see the real reaction of someone who knows "it's your Final Notice". While we read our imagination is not yet clear but when we see it, it is more we expected :roll: . Ohhh, how would they project it?

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”