What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
TheRVMom
2018 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by TheRVMom » 16 Nov 2018, 00:43

I would want to know so that I could try to prevent death if I could. If we had the power to know enough ahead of time just think of all the lives that could be saved. If we are talking about scientists just being able to predict natural causes then I think we are close to that already. However, I'm sure we are a long ways off from predicting the future, like car accidents, murder, etc. It would be so cool though! I think we could do more good than harm with something like that in the RIGHT hands.

Cash-Centered Creep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cash-centered-creep.html
Latest Review: Kill Fannie Mae by Frank Latell

Post by Cash-Centered Creep » 24 Nov 2018, 07:17

SPasciuti wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 12:59
This is a huge theme in the book and it’s one that has been addressed in a number of other books as well. This is the first time I’ve been introduced to a book that addresses it alongside the conversation of gun control, but I was wondering what you think about this potential technology?

Is it a good idea? Would you want to know? How do you feel about science being able to predict something like this? Would you want scientists to release this information if they ever do learn how to get it?
Knowing when you are going to die is a bit like being a writer with a deadline to meet. It would concentrate your mind on what you need to do before the end, so I suppose it would be beneficial that way. Still, the concept of knowing for certain when time's up leaves me uneasy.

mercylynne
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylynne.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by mercylynne » 06 Dec 2018, 03:53

I will definitely be very unhappy, not knowing when you will die allows you to live life to the fullest without worries of death coming closer.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”