Do you think the book was one-sided or fair?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Jsovermyer
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Re: Do you think the book was one-sided or fair?

Post by Jsovermyer » 01 Nov 2018, 22:51

The story has a definite liberal slant. However, I have read many books that lean conservative. So I find it refreshing that this book shows feelings and views that I also share.

sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 13 Nov 2018, 20:59

sepicatt wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 20:38
The book is definitely one-sided but you know it right away. The author is upfront about it. And both sides are going to have their books. But I agree with the person who said that you should read both sides and understand where each is coming from. Personally, I see students every day getting stabbed and beaten and shot in inner city schools. Safety as a whole is an issue and its not just a gun issue. I mean, one incident last year six students held another down while they repeatedly stabbed the boy with pencils (it was gang affiliated but happened inside a school building). But you also have students who get suspended for assaults (physical and sexual), beating others up (students and faculty), threats, etc and at the end of the day they get to go back to school bc you cannot deny them their education. And half of the time its the victim who has to get a "safety transfer". There is something wrong with the picture and gun control is only part of the argument. Schools need to be made safe places to go again...for students and staff.
Brilliant response! Our youth needs healing.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 13 Nov 2018, 21:05

While the book definitely leans left, that wasn't an issue for me. What I didn't like was that the author used caricatures of real people instead of creating his own characters. To me, that seemed as if he crossed a line. It wasn't all about the issue of gun control then. It was about making fun of people.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Theresam
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theresam » 18 Dec 2018, 00:02

P0tt3ry wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 15:48
The author acknowledges the left-leaning bias of the book. In its own way, that makes the book fair because he's honest about the slant.
I agree. The author did mention that so people were aware before they started reading. I don’t think the book suffered because of it. I think it was a very well written book

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”