Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Samuel Waragu
2018 Reading Goal: 11
2017 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 272
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 114
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-waragu.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Re: Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Post by Samuel Waragu » 13 Jan 2018, 01:41

It is a pleasure that the six people in this book have taken the courage to have their real lives with cancer documented. It is a worthwhile reading.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)

chrystalheart
Currently Reading: Fire and fury
Bookshelf Size: 725

Post by chrystalheart » 13 Jan 2018, 01:55

It was difficult for me to even read the sample of the book. I have lost three family members to cancer. The sample begins with a scene in Tucson, which was where I lost my beloved stepfather to brain cancer. For me, talking about or even thinking about cancer is very hard, but for other it is healing. My Mom sometimes needs to talk about it. My Stepmom also needs to talk about the death of my brother, Michael. This book fits that niche. The niche of those who need to share experiences and who find comfort and commiseration in other tales that, while different, embrace the shock and the day to day experiences that those with cancer (and their loved ones) share.

Umm_Zahra
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra » 13 Jan 2018, 02:06

It is truly inspirational and courageous to have people share their private fights with the dreaded disease. Illness is never a walk down the park. Thanks to the author for showing us just how much cancer can affect us all.

Phikim
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My trip to Adele</a>
Currently Reading: Screwed
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phikim.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Phikim » 13 Jan 2018, 02:21

It's a valid information in today's life. Today cancer is rampant and threatening. Not respector or of age, status, race etc. And therefore having such content can change or educate a reader. Congrats on being BOTD

Amywonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amywonder.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Amywonder » 13 Jan 2018, 02:30

I have a personal grudge against cancer. My favourite aunt died from it, just when we thought it was all over, it reoccured. I long for the day cancer can be cured within a few days of the diagnosis.
Thank you Margaret Phalor Barnhart for writing this book, giving us an indepth of what cancer patients go through, and giving hope that its not the end of the world

Damorela00
2018 Reading Goal: 1
2017 Reading Goal: 1
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 900
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 900
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 129

Post by Damorela00 » 13 Jan 2018, 02:35

This motivational book is about 6 types of Cancer! Marge Barnhart tells the stories from survivors point of view to anyone who thinks any type of Cancer means death sentence. Read this wonderful book about survivors of Lung, Bladder, Metastases, Prostate, Tongue & Breast cancers

chasewithme
2018 Reading Goal: 3
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chasewithme » 13 Jan 2018, 03:12

The author accounts for her experience with cancer and it is pretty spot-on for those who have similar experiences either personally or having it happen to a family member. The story can get quite dark if you do not take pause in the morass of details, but can be quite light reading for those who do not hunker down on the pain, but rather follow the growing optimism of the author which becomes increasingly evident after each page. It is an important book for anyone who wants to escape the darkness of cancer and listen to a survivor's tale.

babathoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babathoust.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by babathoust » 13 Jan 2018, 04:18

Cancer encounters can be horrifying, this book could help us identify with them.

REENA BEN
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by REENA BEN » 17 Jan 2018, 02:41

This book is for science fields students who intend to become Doctors. It is suitable for those also who can know the worse circumstances of cancer disease.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”