Thirteen Reasons Why Netflix Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Vanessa1234
Currently Reading: Too Like the Lightning
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why Netflix Series

Post by Vanessa1234 » 07 Jul 2018, 00:20

I already read the book "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher. I really like it. So Im looking forward to watch the movie in Netflix series. It is so exciting! 😊

scratchcat318
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: Soul Whisperings by Patty Weeks

Post by scratchcat318 » 09 Jul 2018, 20:24

I watched the Netflix adaptation and loathed it. I couldn't stand most of the characters and I found the whole thing to be insanely overdramatic and unrealistic. And I haven't even watched the second season yet, which I have heard is far worse. I bought the book a short time ago but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm just praying it's better than the show.

Philosophicalbread1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Philosophicalbread1 » 10 Jul 2018, 09:09

I haven’t read the book so I can’t tell you if Netflix did justice to the story. I’ve only watched the TV show and I didn’t really like the story. I’m sorry for this review. I think all of the characters are immature. Especially Clay Jensen. He was always brushing his mother off like she’s a nuisance. I think he was being very disrespectful. So yeah, I didn’t really understand the hype on it.

TaaraLynn
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn » 10 Jul 2018, 14:14

I have the book and read it a few years ago. When I heard it was becoming a series I had no interest in watching it. Even now, I just want to leave it at the book. I don't know why, but I don't really want to expand the universe of it. 🤔🤔 If that makes sense.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders

Burgundy1991
Currently Reading: Poldark
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burgundy1991.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Burgundy1991 » 12 Jul 2018, 11:46

I read Thirteen Reasons Why years ago. It reminds me slightly of An Inspector Calls. It makes the reader consider how something small they do can still have consequences.

I thought the first season of the TV series was OK. It changed some parts of course (what adaptation doesn't?!), and I think a film would've have been better than a series (I got fed up of Clay taking so long to listen to all the tapes, spreading it across 13 episodes). I wasn't too keen on the second season though, which I stopped watching when the plot seemed so unlike the plot: not just different/adapted, but not canon at all!

catherinecsoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherinecsoto.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by catherinecsoto » 19 Jul 2018, 23:47

To be honest, when they announced that 13 Reasons Why was gonna be a series, I got so excited. I jumped into reading the book right away so I could see when I watch the show if it was given justice. Let me tell you, it wasn’t. I was watching Clay and went, “This isn’t Clay. Please release the real Clay. This is just a bad version of him.”

I didn’t finish the show anymore since it’s not worth it. People who finished it were talking about the triggering graphics in the show. It was just disappointing. The announcement of a season 2 was just even more disappointing and, according to sources, more graphic. Y’all are not helping raise awareness here. It’s sad.

Lawrence_ecnerwal

Post by Lawrence_ecnerwal » 26 Jul 2018, 11:19

You should really watch it but I suggest you read the book first before watching the series itself. In the series they changed up the story a little bit.

dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks » 31 Jul 2018, 14:25

I did read the book and I think that season one was an accurate adaptation.

Hollyrobb42
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyrobb42.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hollyrobb42 » 03 Aug 2018, 08:07

I watched the first season and tried to watch the second season but I had to stop. I think one season was enough. Preferred the books as well, but the first season wasn’t the worst.
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library”

sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may » 12 Aug 2018, 15:33

I have both read the book and watched the series. The series is good. But the book is incredible. I don’t feel like any film every does justice to a book. My friends who have not read the book all think the series is amazing, but I think Jay Asher creates such a vivid world that casting of any of the characters was never going to live up to my imagination.

prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by prospero360 » 14 Aug 2018, 18:41

I really enjoyed the season 1, but they didn't have much to talk about in the second season.

Return to “Films and Books”