Do free books from some authors hurt professional authors?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Amagine
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Do free books from some authors hurt professional author

Post by Amagine » 27 Mar 2017, 08:38

Free books won't hurt professional authors if they have a loyal fan base who love their books and they are constantly marketing their product. I don't see anything wrong with authors giving their books away for free. That is how they advertise their work and build their own fan bases. An author shouldn't feel threatened with how another author decide to promote themself.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

Rachele4769
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachele4769.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Rachele4769 » 06 May 2018, 03:07

:eusa-think: It seems to me that this is a delicate balancing act. As an aspiring author myself I have not doubt that the value of exposure is much higher than a few free books. If it gets you more readers who want to buy the next book or if it gets people recommending you to others then it's purpose has been served.

love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks » 25 May 2018, 21:10

I think free books are necessary, especially so that you can spread the word about your book. No matter how good your book is, if no one starts a "noise" about it, it can remain on the shelf for eternity. It also helps your name get known to people who wouldn't otherwise pick a book you've written if it were for a fee. It's part of marketing.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”