Review:A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Include the name of the book, and if possible the author's name, in the title of the topic. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ZenaLei7
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: "Listening I Hear Your Voices" by Stephanie A. Hunter R.N.,MSW

Review:A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

Post by ZenaLei7 » 10 Jan 2017, 22:07

Henrietta Howel is a school teacher at a girl’s school until her best friend, Rook gets attacked by a monster known as an Ancient. Using her flames to drive off the attacker, a visiting sorcerer named Agrippa sees her power and convinces her to join him and the other sorcerers in a fight against the Ancients. While struggling to become a sorcerer she finds out that she is actually something far more dangerous. With the help of a secret mentor, she is able to master her power as a sorcerer as well as master her secret abilities.

The story is set in Victorian England but based in a world filled with magical creatures both good and bad. The plot was a bit predictable but there were some surprising twists. There is some romantic tension between Henrietta and two other characters but it was mostly PG-13 rated. There are also a few gory scenes of the monsters attacking England and the fight scenes between the sorcerers and monsters were a bit violent.Overall, I would give the book a 4 out of 4 stars.

Mannie913
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading: Wild and Free
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 » 20 Feb 2017, 20:02

This is on my order list! It sounds so good and right up my ally but I need to finish the other 5 series I'm currently in before jumping into another one!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”