Review of The Mystery of the Gold Coin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RJ Reviews
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 104%

Review of The Mystery of the Gold Coin

Post by RJ Reviews »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mystery of the Gold Coin" by Chrissy Piccolo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Growing up, Kirsten Kelly, a private investigator from downtown Seattle, believed there was more to her than her ordinary life. Her adoptive parents, Sean and Helen Kelly, made every effort to encourage her, and as a result, she grew up to be a strong-willed, compassionate adult. When Kirsten established her investigation firm, Scotty Wilson joined her. All was well in her world until she discovered a mysterious parcel in the mailbox. It was empty, with just a gold coin and no address, note, or explanation. Flabbergasted, Kirsten and her boyfriend, Nate St. Clare, an employee of the prosecutor's office, decided to look into the coin. However, her questioning caught the attention of the criminals, and Kirsten got kidnapped. To find out what happened next, read The Mystery of the Gold Coin by Chrissy Piccolo.

This action-packed sci-fi thriller is a perfect beginning to a series full of nods to films such as Star Wars. Using an omniscient narrative, the author provides readers with a comprehensive understanding of the story. The narrative switches between characters, allowing us to see multiple parallel plotlines. As the story progresses, several secrets unfold, revealing Kirsten's true identity. Everybody in her immediate surroundings possesses a secret identity, too. We learn that the Space Force is real and is part of the Galactic Federation of Worlds, which wants to stop the Draco Reptilian Aliens from destroying worlds to take complete control over all possible timelines. Kirsten may hold the key to permanently eliminating those invaders. I loved the discussion about pyramids and their origins. Suspense builds from the very beginning. The author's descriptive writing style and attention to minute details make the story come to life. Because of their unwavering commitment to Kirsten and their objective, both Nate and Scotty are admirable individuals.

The story is professionally edited, as I found only minor errors in the form of missing punctuation. It contains few profanities but no sexual content, making it suitable for teenage readers. The book ends with an unexpected twist that I never saw coming.

As for the drawbacks, I would point out that although the omniscient narrative style does a good job of telling the story, it prevents readers from feeling a connection to the characters on an emotional level. Because everything is "told" rather than "shown," the characters' emotions and actions are superficial. It's also disappointing how little the romance plotline progressed. In the initial chapters, it becomes difficult to keep track of who is who because so many characters are introduced at once. None of them ever make a significant subsequent appearance. Hopefully, they'll have more prominent roles in the upcoming books. While some readers may find the movie references interesting, most of them—aside from Star Wars—made little sense to me. And the story ends on a major cliffhanger! Due to these reasons, I would rate this book 4 out of 5.

I recommend this book to sci-fi lovers who don't mind cliffhanger endings. Readers interested in history and crime thrillers would also find this book enjoyable.

The Mystery of the Gold Coin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Anastasia Baglay
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-baglay.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Anastasia Baglay »

I like your writing style and the subjects you pay attention at while reading. Are you a sci-fi reader? Looking forward to read more from you!
The Keeper Jr
Favorite Book: The Cruel Prince
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-keeper-jr.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by The Keeper Jr »

I'm totally okay with cliffhanger endings as long as it's sci-fi :lol: . I would love to read this book soon, so I will add it to my list. It is definitely gonna be a joyful read. I also see what you disliked about the book and thanks for that as well. Have a great time!
"Once I did bad and that I heard ever. Twice I did good, but that I heard never." - Dale Carnegie
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
RJ Reviews

Post by RJ Reviews »

Anastasia Baglay wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 19:25 I like your writing style and the subjects you pay attention at while reading. Are you a sci-fi reader? Looking forward to read more from you!
Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes I do read sci-fi but will prefer a book that isn't full of technical jargon. Rather I would prefer sci-fi with fantasy elements like portals and all. New species intrigue me too :D
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
RJ Reviews

Post by RJ Reviews »

The Keeper Jr wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 01:24 I'm totally okay with cliffhanger endings as long as it's sci-fi :lol: . I would love to read this book soon, so I will add it to my list. It is definitely gonna be a joyful read. I also see what you disliked about the book and thanks for that as well. Have a great time!
I am sure you'll find the sci-fi part intriguing. It's mostly like Star Wars and the pacing is satisfactory. I don't dislike books with cliffhangers either if they do give a sense of closure. Thank you for reading my reviews and leaving such encouraging comments.
RJ Reviews

Post by RJ Reviews »

Jobmuse+ wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 17:17 This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging comment. I am glad that you found the book interesting based on my review. :tiphat:
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

I am pleased you enjoyed the author's descriptive writing style. A well-crafted story packed with suspense and action and told from multiple perspectives! Although I enjoy reading crime thrillers, I am not fond of sci-fi novels. I do not like cliffhangers, either. Therefore, I will pass on this one. Thank you for your engaging, detailed review! I enjoyed reading it. :tiphat:
RJ Reviews

Post by RJ Reviews »

Emy Katherine wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 08:26 I am pleased you enjoyed the author's descriptive writing style. A well-crafted story packed with suspense and action and told from multiple perspectives! Although I enjoy reading crime thrillers, I am not fond of sci-fi novels. I do not like cliffhangers, either. Therefore, I will pass on this one. Thank you for your engaging, detailed review! I enjoyed reading it. :tiphat:
Thank you Emy for taking out the time to read my review and leave a kind comment. I am sorry that this book is not for you. I absolutely agree that cliffhangers are not for everyone.
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Sylnweke
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sylnweke »

A great job from the reviewer. Most Sci-fi books are intriguing and I like the fact that it does not have sexual content which means teenagers can also get in touch with book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel mixes crime thriller and fantarcheology creating a plot that, despite the flaws you pointed out, seems interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Anu Anand »

Your review is fascinating! The action-packed sci-fi thriller seems like an exciting read, with its secrets and unexpected twists. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book's strengths and weaknesses.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”