Themes

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
quadbrookie
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Themes

Post by quadbrookie » 27 Feb 2016, 18:30

peprica21 wrote:I like that the theme of being a better person and having a new perspective on "old friends" (Sam's group of friends) and "old situations" (the same schedule over and over at school) came up. I believe another theme that ties into those ones is owning up to one's mistakes. Especially during the teen and young adult stages of life. Sam is seeing how the bullying effect Juliet and how ditching her family makes her younger sister feel. She becomes more mature about her decisions and sees the consequences her actions have.
@peprica21 I agree with you on this part! I loved how after time you really see how Sam started to mature more and more!

-- 27 Feb 2016, 18:30 --
peprica21 wrote:I like that the theme of being a better person and having a new perspective on "old friends" (Sam's group of friends) and "old situations" (the same schedule over and over at school) came up. I believe another theme that ties into those ones is owning up to one's mistakes. Especially during the teen and young adult stages of life. Sam is seeing how the bullying effect Juliet and how ditching her family makes her younger sister feel. She becomes more mature about her decisions and sees the consequences her actions have.
@peprica21 I agree with you on this part! I loved how after time you really see how Sam started to mature more and more!
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: Unwritten
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Down the Monster Hole by Carmela Tal Baron
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 29 Feb 2016, 10:24

Scott wrote:I can see the living life to the fullest. However, I think the book explores the complicated question of what that really is. Over the course of reliving the same day a few times, Sam progressively turns into someone who chooses to live her last day to the fullest in a way that doesn't involve getting drunk and just fooling around. Living life to the fullest can mean taking your sister out for a quiet hike to a secluded spot. Living your life to the fullest can mean showing some gentle appreciate or love to your parents on your way to school. It can mean going through the tough process of apologizing for mistakes and having mature conversations. Living life to the fullest doesn't mean one has to act like a wild, immature, and probably kind of foolish teenager.

I like a book like this because it leaves the reader to consider these different ideas. The books asks questions more than it provides answers. I like that. :)
I definitely agree with what you said, Scott - living life to the fullest is appreciating the simple things in life. This is the first theme that struck home to me while reading. Ever since I watched The Fault in Our Stars, I keep thinking to myself - am I living a life that if I didn't wake up tomorrow, would I agree with the choices I've made and the relationships I've built? Have I said 'I love you' enough and shown my love for others? Before I Fall emphasized that theme very strongly.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

Vermont Reviews
2017 Reading Goal: 300
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews » 25 Apr 2016, 06:13

Scott wrote:I can see the living life to the fullest. However, I think the book explores the complicated question of what that really is. Over the course of reliving the same day a few times, Sam progressively turns into someone who chooses to live her last day to the fullest in a way that doesn't involve getting drunk and just fooling around. Living life to the fullest can mean taking your sister out for a quiet hike to a secluded spot. Living your life to the fullest can mean showing some gentle appreciate or love to your parents on your way to school. It can mean going through the tough process of apologizing for mistakes and having mature conversations. Living life to the fullest doesn't mean one has to act like a wild, immature, and probably kind of foolish teenager.

I like a book like this because it leaves the reader to consider these different ideas. The books asks questions more than it provides answers. I like that. :)

Excellent I totally agree.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Christineegm
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Christineegm » 04 Aug 2018, 22:43

I believe that one of the themes stressed is that we only have one chance. ALthough this book seems like a contradiction to this statement, it relays this message to the reader by showing the exact opposite of what the book portrays. Our main character continues to relive this particular day, reliving her experience while still having full control of her actions. Once she realizes this, she acts rebellious among other attitude changes. However, this cycle is disrupted when she chooses the right choice to make, the one she should have made in the very begining.

AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant

Post by AmySmiles » 31 Aug 2018, 09:32

I liked this book because there were a couple of big lessons to be learned from it. Our actions often affect others. Bullying is more hurtful than what people think. We never know until after the fact just how we affected others lives or how our decisions were either good or bad.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”