The ending - spoilers

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
Lara1412
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara1412.html

Re: The ending - spoilers

Post by Lara1412 » 10 Apr 2016, 16:14

I understand why the book had to end that way but still I would really like it if she lived. And also I wonder what kind of a person would she end up being for the rest of her life if she survived.

mmandy38
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Upside of Unrequited
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: "The Retreat" by Chariss K. Walker
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 » 19 May 2016, 00:15

hsimone wrote: 3) This is an interesting thought - leading Kent on knowing that it was going to be her final day. I didn't really think too much about this, but I do agree that it wasn't fair or right for Kent. Now, it's going to be that much harder to get over her.
5) I would hope that Sam didn't die in vain. I'm hoping that since she saved Juliet's life that Lindsey would approach her and maybe rekindle their lost friendship.
I'll admit that when I finished the book, I hated the ending. I wanted Sam to be alive and finally have her relationship with Kent and be an all around better person because of her reliving that dreadful day. Your comments have given be a new insight to this though.
I hope that Lindsey and Juliet either rekindle the friendship or at least Lindsey apologizes and makes Juliet realize that her life is worth living. I do feel horrible for Kent though. He just found out that she actually likes him too when she's taken from him.

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Desiderata by Aakash Doshi

Post by AmySmiles » 24 Apr 2018, 06:31

I hated the ending. I wanted everyone to survive at the end and figured that she would relive it until she did.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar » 11 May 2018, 09:23

Me too. I didn't read the book but when I saw the movie, I thought after she sacrificed herself, she was going to wake up to the next day. But I guess they couldn't do that because if she pushed her out of the way and they both lived, she would probably just repeat the day over again like other times. I guess the whole point was that she needed to make a sacrifice to show that she learned from her mistakes. I just feel bad for Kent that he finally got his kiss from his all-time crush just for her to die.

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Desiderata by Aakash Doshi

Post by AmySmiles » 01 Jul 2018, 10:09

I was disappointed that Sam died but I came to the realization that she finally started caring about others and therefore chose the option where she was the one to die in the end and the others lived. I felt in a way she was brave for choosing that route. But maybe I was just thankful that she finally chose a route for it to end. I got a little tired towards the end of the book, but it was written excellently.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”