"The Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
cdurantc
Bookshelf Size: 0

"The Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer

Post by cdurantc » 28 Jan 2016, 19:24

The imagination and various genres and characters represented in "The Canterbury Tales" makes this a great read for all ages. Chaucer takes his readers on a great journey through his character development and stories. His attention to detail is spectacular and makes it easy to envision the time and place. :)

njzeba
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba » 09 May 2016, 19:27

I'm sorry but I honestly hated this book. It's really misogynistic. I don't remember much of it because I read it such a long time ago but that's my opinion on it. Wish I could elaborate more.

HalcyonFlower
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: "Not a Blueprint: It's the Shoe Prints That Matter" by Nina Norstrom, Author
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower » 28 May 2016, 20:34

DEFINITELY misogynistic but that's too be expected of the medieval times. I decided to enjoy it for what it was but that was me reading this years ago. I recently bought a collection with lovely artwork from Chapters. I'm hoping I'll have time to hunker down and give it a re-read.
Latest Review: "Not a Blueprint: It's the Shoe Prints That Matter" by Nina Norstrom, Author

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: The Hangman
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: It's a White Life by Jim Trebbien
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 31 May 2016, 13:15

I read this for the first time when my oldest was in high school and I'd been asked to lead a literature group of high school kids. The book of choice by the kids was "The Canterbury Tales". I thought "why not, it's a classic"..... some parts were so embarrassing to discuss with youth that I did not know well. It was a co-ed group as well so there was quite a bit of giggling in parts.

Christina O Phillips
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 1311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: The Secrets to How Not To Throw Mama From The Train by Dr Janice Hooker Fortman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips » 12 Apr 2017, 12:14

I took a medieval lit class as an undergrad and we read some of this book. We also had to memorize the prologue, which I can surprisingly still recite.
I like the tales and found them amusing, but agree with CatInTheHat that they can be a bit sexual.

godreaujea
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 3
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: "Delightful Hands" by Andrew Pace

Post by godreaujea » 29 Apr 2017, 19:20

I had to read a few stories in college and found them so entertaining. Our professor forced us to read it out loud in Old English too, which definitely added some substance to the stories. So interesting!
Latest Review: "Delightful Hands" by Andrew Pace

Ceciltrixiedom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =164903">A Very Secret Affair</a>
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ceciltrixiedom » 05 May 2017, 11:25

We tackled this poem back high school days.Yeah we also memorized the prologue! But as far as I can remember, it is about telling tales by participants who joined a sort of pilgrimage to Canterbury. A bit boring but since we were obliged to listen and discuss ,we had no choice.

Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 828
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 » 04 Sep 2017, 12:31

I have read a few of these, and I am always surprised by how funny, relevant and readable they are. It helps me to read them out loud as it's easier to understand what's going on.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Deleka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Deleka » 07 Jan 2019, 03:21

As far as I can remember, it is about telling tales by participants who joined a sort of pilgrimage to Canterbury. I wish there was much elaboration

Return to “Classic Books”