Review of One Hand Two Hearts

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joule Mwendwa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of One Hand Two Hearts

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Hand Two Hearts" by S.K. Alfstad.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

If you're looking for a good heartwarming story with redeeming qualities, One Hand, Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad is the book for you. It explores the life of James Vansbricken (Jimmy V) and other characters around him.

Many, including his brother Fred, didn't appreciate Jimmy's decision to live as a homeless person. He made a living by singing in the streets for tips from passersby. Fred didn't want his children to know who their uncle was, but unfortunately, Francesca was curious to know more about Jimmy. She could occasionally sneak in to visit him. Consequently, her love for Jimmy grew with the continued visits because he believed in her passion, something her father, Fred, was against. One day, Jimmy's longtime friend Bobby ran to another Jimmy's friend and a lawyer in the middle of the night. Jimmy V was in trouble.

I liked S.K. Alfstad's beautiful approach to storytelling. There is a book within this book, which was an interesting style to encounter. Also, the book's characters and the story are relatable to readers. Topics like kindness, forgiveness, guilt, and PTSD discussed in the book are familiar to readers. The ability of characters to make tough decisions, forgive, inspire other characters, and pick themselves up whenever they fall was fascinating and redesigned my life perception. For example, I was moved to see Jimmy V helping other homeless people with the little money he made from singing in the streets and helping people like Scott correct their previous life mistakes.

Moreover, the book's vocabulary is simple. Its setting and plot were relatable, and the most likable aspect was the excellent character development. Additionally, I enjoyed the alternating between past and present, which shed light on certain characters' behaviors and, at the same time, broadened the story's plot and readers' understanding. While the book shows how homeless people are unfairly treated, the author provides awareness about thoughtful judgment and proper medical care for war veterans. Ultimately, the book proves that not everyone on the street is a loser or useless.

Alfstad's book inspired me, and I disliked nothing about it. In addition, I didn't encounter any negative aspects. It was professionally edited. Therefore, I rate One Hand, Two Hearts 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of inspirational stories. The book is also suitable for everyone because it has valuable lessons for society, like the importance of humility.

One Hand Two Hearts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like nomadic life like Jimmy. And besides, being homeless but living your dreams is self-actualizing. What's the mansion if your heart doesn't belong? And to the opposite, what's wrong if you are homeless but happy? This book will move many hearts. Your review is awesome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Joule Mwendwa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 16:02 I like nomadic life like Jimmy. And besides, being homeless but living your dreams is self-actualizing. What's the mansion if your heart doesn't belong? And to the opposite, what's wrong if you are homeless but happy? This book will move many hearts. Your review is awesome!
Sure, achieving dreams must be prioritized :) Thank you for your compliment :D
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”