- Posts: 1376
- Joined: 07 Jun 2015, 13:59
- 2017 Reading Goal: 60
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
- Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
- Favorite Book: Crik
- Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Bookshelf Size: 549
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
- Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
- Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
I just finished reading this short story last night and I must agree Maggie is very talented. I was drawn right in from the start and taken along for the ride. I noticed possibly one error, although I'd have to check my notes so it wasn't glaring, and I thought Paul continually popping up like he did was unrealistic, but maybe that is where the lack of backstory hurts this particular tale. I agree short stories don't always require backstory, but then you just have to make the characters and their actions somewhat believable. I think Vic was perfectly done and the story was amazing, so these minor things really don't detract overall from what was a fantastic first entry from a young author. Great job Maggie!!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 06 Jan 2015, 20:14
- Bookshelf Size: 49
- Publishing Contest Votes: 31
Hey everyone, I'm the author of this story, and just wanted to say a huge thank you!!! Your comments are amazing, and are so motivating! Thanks for reading, and taking the time to tell me what you thought. It means a lot!
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 09 Jun 2015, 09:24
- Currently Reading: Library of Souls
- Bookshelf Size: 114
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html
I was not really surprised by the ending, though I understand the point being made and feel that it was pretty well done. I’m not sure how I feel about using another essential victim to lure Paul to watch Vic kill herself is the one thing that perhaps I truly throw into question. I definitely gets across the point of turning yourself into the monster you were afraid of.
- Posts: 157
- Joined: 26 Aug 2015, 09:34
- 2017 Reading Goal: 50
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 3
- Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Bookshelf Size: 321
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
- Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Running with Guilt was the perfect opening short-story. It held my interest and led me to jump into the next head first. I loved how much depth it built in such a short time frame then how unexpected the ending was. Endings like this are the ones that make you think because you are not prepared for them and they happen so fast and with no build up you are left at the end with your mouth hanging open.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 07 May 2014, 21:57
- Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
- Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
- Currently Reading: Crown of souls
- Bookshelf Size: 56
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
- Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
- fav_author_id: 6216
Great short story! The problem with short stories are that they're so short!
- Posts: 720
- Joined: 25 Jun 2017, 05:07
- 2017 Reading Goal: 60
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 85
- Bookshelf Size: 66
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
- Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
This is a very good story. I liked it, especially the end amazed me. This story is worth reading.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 15:51
- Bookshelf Size: 0
She is so so cold and calculated personality
I don't think I'll want to be her mark.