Review by Brenda Creech of In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review by Brenda Creech of In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is a volunteer review of In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes (penname of Scott Hughes).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"If you went to sleep in your body in your bed and awoke in my body in my bed with my memories, would you notice a difference? Would there even be a difference?" That is the 'opening question' in the book #InItTogether: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting us All by Scott Hughes. The current times we live in reveal unrest and no unity among us. However, Scott points out that there are things we all struggle with that join us whether we want to be bound together or not. We are all inclined to feel empathy for another's pain. He explains that humans might not exist, "...but you, the real you, definitely exists," and that "...the real you is not human." The focus isn't on the physical body but on our spirits and how we have a conscious connection with a similar love for each other.

Scott quotes this 'wise saying:' "You do not have a spirit, you are a spirit. You have a body." In other words, you are not a body with a spirit; you are a spirit with a body. This book has a profound message, and Scott breaks it down piece by piece. For some, it will answer questions you have pondered, while others may be skeptical of what is said. Any way you see it, it is a must-read for those seeking inner peace. When you finish the book, you will decide if you are a body with a spirit or a spirit with a body. Which one will you believe? Will you find your inner peace?

I have never been very philosophical. Philosophy has always confused me. I am not what you call a 'deep thinker.' I found sections of the book exciting and eye-opening and other parts confusing. There were parts that I had never considered that made me stop and think. The part I enjoyed most was when Scott explained our spirit and human bodies. He said the person you see in the mirror is not you; your body is a "meatsuit" you wear. You have to read his theory to form your own opinion. I won't elaborate on it now, mainly because I cannot do it justice. There are eleven powerful suggestions Scott gives the reader on "how to free your spirit and manifest your love." I found these helped refocus my mind.

The book is well written and appears professionally edited. Although there was much I disagreed with based on my beliefs, it did not deter me from enjoying the book. I have to admit some things confused me, and I couldn't grasp some of the ideas about spirituality, but there wasn't anything I could say I disliked about the book.

I found this book enlightening in some ways. I like the detail Scott goes into about each subject he addresses. He took his time to explain his reasoning for each topic, and he made it fun and exciting. I had to go back and read some of the philosophical things he said two or three times, and sometimes I got it while other times I didn't. I enjoyed reading this book and am delighted to give it 4 out of 4 stars. I found no reason to deduct a star just because there were things I didn't understand, or I didn't have the same beliefs.

I recommend this book to those ages sixteen through adulthood who love philosophical readings and want to learn more about spirituality. I don't recommend it to readers under sixteen as they may not understand the deep philosophical meaning of the book.

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble (Hardcover) | on Barnes and Noble (Nook)
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I don’t read many books focused on philosophy either. I enjoy Scott’s premise that humans are souls with physical bodies. Our soul is the most important part of us and it understands and empathizes with other souls. Thank you for your honest review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: ¿Lo volveré a ver?: Una vida, tres generaciones y un amor perdido…
Bookshelf Size: 2438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: An Unlamented Death by Mary Adler
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I'm not much into philosophy. I used to be, back when I was in college. I prefer more practical reads now. And I'm not sure empathy is intrinsic to all humans. Most of us, sure. But what about psychopaths and sociopaths? It's interesting to ponder, though. And I appreciate the honesty of your review.
Luchris Curtis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-curtis.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Luchris Curtis »

I love the concept of this book, and from this review, I can clearly say that all of humanity is connected somehow. I'd love to read this book so as to know more. Thanks for your honest review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This is such a beautiful and unique idea for a book. The world needs more empathy. I would love to read this book. Congrats!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Elusive Elephant : Mama's African Adventure
Bookshelf Size: 794
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Forty Nights In Aruba by Bea Ann Argh

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This is one of the most inspirational books I have ever read. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

I read Nietzsche's and Pavlov's theories when I was around 14-15 years old, philosophy is my second nature because I think deeply, sometimes those around me tend to say I over-think.
Well it's exercise for my mental faculties to stay in shape and avoid brain fog.
Scott's 'In it together: hasn't come at a better time. We were all left abandoned by many around us for fear of a perceived virus, even the clergy were in front avoiding us at all costs. Abandoned, lonely, depressed, insomnia, eviction, bankruptcy, joblessness.....you have your own version what you went through. But at the core of what is called a human being, the longing was to be with somebody to be 'in it together' and not suffer alone.
I marvel that none of what are called animals even noticed there was any pandemic.
Let this philosophy open your inner eye and see yourself whose image yours is.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I am not a philosophical person myself. This seems intriguing though. I agree that we are a spirit with a body and not a body with a spirit. It’s great to ponder on some topics though. Thank you for your review!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I am not a philosophical person myself. This seems intriguing though. I agree that we are a spirit with a body and not a body with a spirit. It’s great to ponder on some topics though. Thank you for your review!
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 96785
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 2436%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

BOTD is so inspiring the author use is own words talking about the power of true love and consciousness he blended the humor making the book so enjoyable to the last cover the part that put a big smile on my face is the way he went a head to answer questions without preaching too much , the reviews here simplifies the book further I will always recommend this book and going to get. Copy too it's worth it 💯✅📚📖🥂
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: The Afterlife Experience by Bud Megargee

Post by Zainab Wasif »

I like some philosophical themes specially spirituality. I would be interested in ways to free spirit and manifest love. Thanks for the review!
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: A ​Court of Silver Flames
Bookshelf Size: 2319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

Seems like the book has some interesting idea but how does it deal with troubles of body that trouble the spirit? Guess I will have to read to know. Thanks for the review.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Inspiring and thought-provoking, today's BOTD is one that stays with you long after the last page. Best fit for teens through adults, readers will find themselves not only contemplating the ideas, but also wanting to discuss the reasonings presented with others. This definitely sounds like a must-read! Thank you so much for your helpful review! :-)
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I tend to resonate with provocative installments. This book sounds like a wonderful one to ponder over life and its mystery. Great book by Scott! Wonderful review Miss Brenda!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Well done on an amazing and informative review giving just enough information into the book to pull my attention to it! This book is definitely thought-provoking and makes you think further than your normal thinking process.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”