Review of Resilient Transition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Resilient Transition

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Resilient Transition" by Sa’eed Mustafa.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Moving from one phase of life to another is not always easy, and it is especially true when transitioning from military to civilian life. Many veterans have gone into depression, and some have committed suicide because they could not adjust to their new environment. Unfortunately, most civilians lack the empathy to feel the pains of these veterans because, in earnest, civilian life is quite different from military life. Hence, Resilient Transition by Sa'eed Mustafa seeks to guide veterans to make a successful transition to civilian life despite the obstacles on the way.

Mustafa joined the army in 1984 and eventually became a command sergeant major before his retirement in 2014. Despite the challenges after his retirement, Mustafa became the first elected African-American councilman in his hometown. He is also involved in other meaningful activities that point to his successful transition from military to civilian life. He, therefore, shares his experience with us in this book and gives invaluable tips and practical steps to guide veterans to win in life after they transition to civilian life, regardless of the challenges they would come across.

I always commend authors who aim to change the negative narratives in society through their books. Mustafa is one such author! Do you know that about twenty veterans commit suicide every day in the US? We all know that veterans are vulnerable to mental health issues like PTSD and depression, so I love how relevant this book is in helping them to live purposeful and successful lives after service. This 178-page book is a concise but insightful guide that teaches tried and trusted methods like music therapy, the universal law of attraction, steps to building a resilient mindset, amongst others, to ensure that the reader makes a successful transition.

What I like most about this book is the author's friendly and conversational tone. I even started feeling like a veteran; no disrespect to the gallant veterans out there. Perhaps it's because the book's content can also apply to civilians transitioning from one phase of life to another. The author's tone is so optimistic and motivating, but I especially loved how I could feel his intention to help the reader in his writing. The book is also well organized, and I love how it follows a step-by-step approach to inspire the reader to have a successful transition.

Furthermore, this book is engaging and fun to read. I enjoyed the author's use of personal stories to inspire readers, as it provided a good mix of intriguing narrations and life-changing lessons. And the icing on the cake is that the author's language is simple and easy to understand.

As much as I especially and highly recommend this book to veterans and soldiers nearing their retirement, I urge readers who are transitioning from one stage of their lives to another to read this title. For example, I enjoyed the author's advice for students graduating from school. Many graduates don't cope well with life after school, so I am sure they'll also find the book beneficial.

There's nothing I disliked about this insightful masterpiece. The author even provides the reader with his playlist to inspire them to be resilient in their doings through music, and I must thank him for his gift to readers at the end of the book, as I intend to use them. The book's editing is almost flawless, as I found only a minor error throughout the publication. Hence, I am rating Resilient Transition a well-deserved four out of four stars.

Resilient Transition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

The theme of the book is quite intriguing. I think a book of this kind was much needed as I've also heard many cases of people killing themselves cause they didn't fit well in their new world. Great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to find out more about the veterans and their problems. Thank you for this informative and well-written review!
monica wangari
Currently Reading: Girl, Missing
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by monica wangari »

Seems interesting,, from the title itself,down to the description,,,.I love intriguing narratives thus my interest in it,thank you for the review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Would be interesting to learn more about the veterans and the issues they face. This book seems well written. Great review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

This is the kind of book that should find universal appeal as there are veterans in every facet of society. From the military, business, education, sport, etc. you have veterans struggling to adjust to the next phase of their lives. Thanks for a great review!
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Transitioning from civilian to military life could not have been easy. Great review.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

The transitory phase of one's life is always difficult, more so when someone belongs to a minority. I know I'm going to love this one.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

Mustafa sounds like a hero and I'm glad his story is told. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

This seems to be an interesting theme. After working in armed forces when one retires back to civilian life then sometime this transition is not smooth. Thanks for a nice review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”