Review of The Data Collectors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Review of The Data Collectors

Post by Jasy95 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Data Collectors" by Danielle Palli.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Date Collectors by Danielle Palli is a unique science fiction novel that is set in Earth’s future. Aliens from several advanced planets have taken an interest in Earth. Some are seeking to help preserve Earth and its humans through performing extensive research and sharing their advanced technology. Others have more malicious intentions, aspiring to speed up the extinction of the human race in order to take the planet for themselves. As the various groups of aliens fight each other to carry out their plans, a young woman named Lucene finds herself unexpectedly thrust into a dangerous situation. Will Lucene be able to figure out these intergalactic politics and determine which aliens she can trust? Or will she and her entire planet be doomed to follow the whims of the aliens who aim to control them?

The futuristic setting on Earth was fairly realistic, touching on a theme that I’ve personally contemplated many times in the past. In the same way that some humans research endangered species and try to restore their habitats to save the organisms, this book was centered on the concept of an academic group of aliens that has dedicated their lives to collecting data on humans in order to save our species. I’ve never seen this concept executed the way it was in this novel, and I really appreciated how unique and creative the storyline was. The aliens came in a wide range of forms, including shape-shifting creatures who took the forms of mermaids and butterflies, lizard-like creatures, and some creatures who were much more humanoid.

This novel was organized into chapters that span Lucy’s life, with each chapter informing the reader of the time period. Many of the chapters early on in the novel were not in chronological order, jumping through Lucene’s childhood and adulthood through various significant events in her life. The majority of the later chapters focused on the present. I really liked the way that the author organized the time jumps, because those at the beginning of the novel really built suspense and allowed the reader to slowly unravel the situation. I also appreciated the fact that there were not as many time jumps in the later portion of the novel, because there was significantly high-stakes action at that point, so staying in the present allowed me to focus on what was going on and be completely immersed in the narrative.

I found the writing to be incredible. The writing style was easy to read, descriptive, and captivating. Additionally, the novel appeared to be professionally edited. The author did a wonderful job of describing the characters in a way that made me feel like they were all individuals I had met in real life. They had very distinct personalities that shone through their dialogue and their actions. There was also a whimsical tone to the interactions between characters, with jokes and silly moments that lightened the tone of the novel itself.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The creative plot, unique execution, and characterization were excellent. I honestly did not find any aspects that I did not enjoy. I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys science fiction novels, especially those with elements of action, adventure, suspense, romance, friendship, academia, fantasy, and intergalactic politics. I look forward to reading future novels by this author!

The Data Collectors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 1027
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Anything I’ve ever read about aliens focuses on the fact that they will want to destroy humans. It would be nice to read something about them trying to help save us. Lucy wants to help them.
Kelyn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

I like the bit of the whimsical the author has added to the story, and the unusual aspect of the aliens studying us rather than us studying them is intriguing. I may have to give this one a look. Thanks for the recommendation!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think this book has all the right elements in their needed proportion. Great review.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

This seems like a pretty interesting book. I like books with aliens.
Thanks for the great review!
Jasy95

Post by Jasy95 »

Amy Luman wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 08:36 Anything I’ve ever read about aliens focuses on the fact that they will want to destroy humans. It would be nice to read something about them trying to help save us. Lucy wants to help them.
I totally agree, it was a very refreshing change of pace!
Jasy95

Post by Jasy95 »

Kelyn wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 00:29 I like the bit of the whimsical the author has added to the story, and the unusual aspect of the aliens studying us rather than us studying them is intriguing. I may have to give this one a look. Thanks for the recommendation!
Yes the whimsy was such a nice touch! I hope you read it and enjoy :)
Jasy95

Post by Jasy95 »

Raymond N wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 03:03 I think this book has all the right elements in their needed proportion. Great review.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the review.
Jasy95

Post by Jasy95 »

SunVixen wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 12:28 This seems like a pretty interesting book. I like books with aliens.
Thanks for the great review!
I'm glad you enjoyed the review and I hope you enjoy the book if you give it a read!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Victorious
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 68%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing story involving different alien species and the future of humanity with well-developed plot and characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”