Official Review: Souls Entwined by Anne B. Cole

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Official Review: Souls Entwined by Anne B. Cole

Post by MatthewAlexander »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Souls Entwined" by Anne B. Cole.]
Book Cover for 1927
Share This Review

Souls Entwined by Anne B. Cole is a fantasy novel about Sam Dagget and Gretta Dobbs, two strangers destined to meet. A freak, work-related accident that knocks them both unconscious takes them to an outer-body experience. Time is stilled and they meet Katarina and Roxana, distant relatives of both Gretta and Sam. Katarina and Roxana explain a curse on Gretta’s family that is passed on through a ring Gretta recently received from her grandmother. Determined to break the curse and free all the tortured souls affected by it, Roxana and Katarina entwine Sam and Gretta’s souls with Lorenzo and Anya, a young man and woman from 1829. Lorenzo and Anya’s story sheds light on the ring and the four curses placed upon it. Together, Sam and Gretta learn of the four curses and work with Katarina and Roxana to break them.

What I enjoyed most about this book was that the plot was new to me. I've never read anything quite like it before. It was a very original book and that originality made it a very satisfying read. The characters were interesting and exciting. I enjoyed the time period that, for the most part, the book was set it, and the relationships between the characters were beautifully written. I especially enjoyed the family relationships. They were pure, real, touching, and accurate in a way few people can write correctly.

This was a very easy, fun read. The story flowed from one point to the next with little unnecessary text or subplots. Lorenzo and Anya's story was captivating in a way that almost made me forget that it wasn't the main plot of the book, just a way to get information on the ring. It was a real feeling medley of sorrow, happiness, love, life, and death. Everything came together very nicely, leaving me wondering about almost nothing. There were very few things about this book that annoyed me.

One of those things was Sam’s infatuation with Gretta. They’d barely spoken and he was already obsessed, wanting to be a part of her life and claiming he loved her. It was explained, though, as a part of the cursed ring. I still found his immediate affection for her to be a bit much. That was only a minor annoyance, though. Another minor annoyance was that my understanding of some major parts of the book was limited. For example, I didn't quite understand the PIT, the place the souls affected by the ring went after death, or the system to leave it. Perhaps that was something personal and if I went back to read about it again, I would understand better, but it may be a generally hard concept to grasp.

Over all, I would give Souls Entwined 3 out of 4 stars. I give it three stars and not four because, though I enjoyed the read, it was not spectacular. It did not truly touch me or make me feel, so I cannot give it that extra star. Still, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a refreshing, fantasy book. I believe the book’s target audience is older people as opposed to teenagers, though, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who prefers the young adult genre to any other.

Buy "Souls Entwined" on Amazon

Last bumped by MatthewAlexander on 08 Apr 2016, 14:14.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”